29 74.36%
  • I can do without

9 23.08%
  • Who cares

1 2.56%

Thread: Ambrosia Maple - like or not

Blog Entries

Ambrosia Maple - like or not

I know their are many wood workers who like Ambrosia Maple but my eyes don't see the appeal.

all the best
    curt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Curtis Myers; 06-12-2016 at 9:29 PM.

2. I generally like Ambrosia maple.....I have made quite a few projects over the years. Once in a while an ugly piece comes up, but most of the time it yeilds pretty projects.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I like it.

Once in awhile I see an ambrosia maple project I like, but mostly I can do without. Not a fan of beetle poop. I won't buy any.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    Once in awhile I see an ambrosia maple project I like, but mostly I can do without. Not a fan of beetle poop. I won't buy any.
    I like the saying under your signature.

I've never turned Ambrosia maple, but I like it and the pieces I've seen made from it have been quite attractive. A flat piece of Ambrosia, as in the thumbnail, is not particularly inspiring. Make something round, though....I like.

I think I'll chime in. I don't mind it, I have bought some. What I do like, is the beetle holes are the perfect size for inserting fretboard side dots. Makes embellishing an otherwise fairly drab platter easy. Don't think I'll be buying any more though. A bowl is okay. The beetle marks are interesting. Different.

I love ambrosia, spalted, and burl lumber because of - not in spite of - their humble origins.

Discovering the non-intuitive beauty in nature like this is precisely why I love this craft.

The designer/turner has the challenge of presenting it in its best light.

just yesterday I made a meat tenderizing mallet out of some , mineral oil and beeswax looks good works well hopefully I wont get beat with it.

what I don't like is that I haven't seen, in person, a good finish technique that enhances the appearance.

I like ambrosia maple and have done quite a few pieces of it. They are unique and have a little extra appeal JMHO.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

I have been working with it a lot and I am absolutely amazed at the patterns these beetles can make. I love seeing what emerges. I keep some pieces on my desk at work and just keep staring at the patterns all the time. Its great!
    Here are 3 examples:

IMG_0134.jpg
    14" end grain platter

IMG_0128.jpg
    5" x5" Hollow Form

IMG_0155.jpg
    9" Diameter end grain bowl from Ambrosia Red Maple that had spalted for a few years. This piece of wood has a lot going on.

The biggest issue is working with these end grain pieces and getting them to dry whole without cracking.

Mat