Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LV O-1 Fitment in LN Planes

I think the reason for the disconnect is because there's a second issue that you're consistently ignoring even though it's been repeatedly explained:

Every steel has a critical angle below which it can't be honed without unacceptable wear during use, due to edge-chipping

Patrick, I am not ignoring this factor. It is simply not relevant to the question asked.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Ken, I wonder how many here are old enough to recall that the "Silly Millimeter" was the advertising slogan of a cigarette manufacturer back in the 50's. They advertised that they made their cigarettes a "Silly millimeter" longer than others did. I certainly heard that slogan many, many times!
    George, the '60s actually -- that was Chesterfield's campaign and an attempt to one-up the Benson and Hedges 100s -- I confess to remembering that era

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    George, the '60s actually -- that was Chesterfield's campaign and an attempt to one-up the Benson and Hedges 100s -- I confess to remembering that era
    I remember the "silly millimeter" ads. I smoked Camels at the time. Tapping them down would reduce the depth of tobacco more than just a silly millimeter.

At the time there was only one cigarette branded as Camels. Now there are about a dozen and the Camel 'shorts' are not as prominent as they used to be. For the record I had my last cigarette a few years ago.

There used to be a lot of different features about the old Camel pack. Such as where was the camel owner, what would you do if you were on that camel dying of thirst, the camel tenders wife, the lion, the date 1914 on the pack and how many letters 'e' were on the back. Most people also know what they said about Camels back then, "nine out of ten men that try Camels go back to women."

Almost forgot about the trick with the word 'CHOICE' not reading backwards in a mirror.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 06-13-2016 at 2:14 PM. Reason: almost forgot...
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I remember the "silly millimeter" ads. I smoked Camels at the time. Tapping them down would reduce the depth of tobacco more than just a silly millimeter.

At the time there was only one cigarette branded as Camels. Now there are about a dozen and the Camel 'shorts' are not as prominent as they used to be. For the record I had my last cigarette a few years ago.

There used to be a lot of different features about the old Camel pack. Such as where was the camel owner, what would you do if you were on that camel dying of thirst, the camel tenders wife, the lion, the date 1914 on the pack and how many letters 'e' were on the back. Most people also know what they said about Camels back then, "nine out of ten men that try Camels go back to women."

Almost forgot about the trick with the word 'CHOICE' not reading backwards in a mirror.

jtk
    Weren't those the Virginia Slims? 101 mm vs 100 mm for the other 'long' cigs.
    Remember the old (I think it was Steve Martin) joke about Virigina Slims. What was it he said "Virgina Slims? That's a womans cigarette isn't it? What is it, do they have little br----s on them or something?"

Well, if we are going to go back in time. I have always wondered whether George's wife's name is Martha?

My OF's cultural references make my clients eyes roll to the back of their heads, I believe most haven't a clue what I'm talking about when I mention flying "needle, ball, and airspeed".

Anyway......

I've only the LN #8 left for iron replacement. I expect it will be done sometime but there ain't no hurry because it seldom comes off the wall. If I had a working brain cell it, the #8, would have been gone long ago. Metal jointers are just too big and heavy, after 15 or 20 minutes of slinging that sucker around the shop my body is crying no mas no mas where with one of my wood jointers I can work long enough to get something done and still function the next day.

Sorry for the digression, sometimes the fingers have a mind of their own. It is a pretty simple fix to route out the depth adjustment hole on the cap iron. I used a Drimel with a diamond bit taking just a small amount off before test fits. On most of the cap irons the fit was good after two or three tries.

I've worked the planes with the new irons and modified chip breakers and the feel is the same as a unmodified plane with LN iron. No more backlash than before, if you have LN planes and want to use other irons it is worth the trouble.

Here is a staged photo of my set up:

ken

Ken, "Needle, ball & airspeed" aside, I thought you might enjoy this. Wright brothers workbench.

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hampshire View Post
    Ken, "Needle, ball & airspeed" aside, I thought you might enjoy this. Wright brothers workbench.
    Kevin,

If you are interested in the Wrights, "Kill Devil Hill" by Harry Combs and Martin Caidin is the best I've read. The Wright Brothers let this dumb ol' West Texas farm boy have a life I couldn't have dreamed of as I watched Oklahoma blow by my bedroom window in the early '50s. They do not begin to get the credit they deserve.

Thanks for the bench photo,

ken