Thread: Ironing board cabinet

Ironing board cabinet

Thought I'd show off a recent little project -

It bugs me to have an ironing board set out somewhere in our house, and rickety/squeaky/rusty ironing boards bug me, too. So I built this cabinet. A place to store the iron, starch, a large container of distilled water (to fill the steam iron with), the lint roller/brush, and a solid ironing board. The ironing board, itself, is made from aromatic cedar, and gives off a little of that smell whenever you hit it with the steam. The board folds into the cabinet when not in use, and the leg collapses to fit inside. The cedar ironing board is covered with some heavyweight felt, then a heavy canvas-type fabric. There is a pocket sewn around the edge of the fabric cover to hold a rope which is pulled tight to hold it in place.

Things I would have done differently:
    1) A piano hinge would have taken much less space than these 135-degree opening concealed hinges I used. I have no idea why I decided I needed to use concealed hinges. That was dumb.
    2) The expand/collapse mechanism for the leg is a little touchy. I wish I would have designed something using spring-loaded pins that automatically locked the leg into the two positions (open and closed).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (151.8 KB, 52 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (166.4 KB, 50 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (109.2 KB, 52 views)

A nice civilized refinement well done. SO much better than the giant kitchen ironing board cabinet right next to the tooth pick and match cabinet.