Thread: Veritas - Surface Vise - experience

Veritas - Surface Vise - experience

Has anyone used a Veritas Surface Vise, and if so, how well does it work?

I have a Veritas Wonder Dog, which is quite similar. It works very well. Based on the design I'd expect the Surface vise to function well too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I have one and it works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hampshire View Post
    Has anyone used a Veritas Surface Vise, and if so, how well does it work?
    I have one. It's no substitute for a tail vise and can be a bit of a contraption to set up (it has a fair number of moving/removable parts), but if you need the functionality it's a lifesaver.

As somebody else mentioned the Wonder Dog provides broadly similar functionality, but with higher profile and less adjustment range. It's also simpler and can clamp from any angle (the surface vise registers to 2 dog holes and applies clamping force in-line with them).

I have one on my bench instead of a wagon or tail vise. It works well for me.

I use a surface vise and a wonder dog. They both work just like you hope they will. I really like them both.
    On the Wonder Dog, the post is taller than the fence. Just keep that in mind if you are planning thin material.
    On the vise, the moving jaw is removable (so you can keep your flat surface clear when not in use). I keep in plugged into two holes on the side of the bench. That little piece is required and could easily be lost. I also made a little table from 1/8" plywood that stands in the vise slot, over the thread, flush with the table, when not using the vise.
    Both of these devices are also useful for a "benchtop bench", a saw bench as well and even work tables.

Blog Entries
    I use one on my 'bench-on-bench'.

BonB (15).jpg

I would not call it a replacement for a tail vise if that is what you need. It holds well for smaller items but, I would not try to hold and joint an 8/4 x 60" board with it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Wow Glenn. Your bench on bench looks better than my actual bench. Also better than any of the furniture I've built.

Just to clarify, this is the Surface Vise

05g1050i1.jpg

This is the Inset Vise

05g3101s12b_01.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Belair View Post
    Just to clarify,
    Doh! I am such a goof. Thanks for the correction Jim.

The surface vise was on my wish list for some time. I tried it out at the shows a couple of years in a row. The things that kept me from pulling the trigger were that it is a bit fussy to setup and there is minimal advantage over the wonder dog. The surface vise does not have the pivot tendency of the wonder dog but this can be resolved with another regular dog acting as a stop along the side. The surface vise seems to use a lot of bench for a fairly lightweight hold that I could get other ways.

It is a well made product like any Veritas item. I find it intriguing and really wanted to like it. I just found the tasks it performs could already be done other ways on my bench and with the other holding items I already have. It is a good solution if you do not already have methods to grip things the way you want. Just factor in that you give up a little over two dog holes of range when it comes to length.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

All, thanks for the great replies. I should have done a little more research before I posted a question. I found a 2010 video by an enthusiastic user and one associated wth Highland (which did not appear to be an actual user) but did get me thinking about multiple Veritas work holding appliances. Too bad they all appeared to be brand new and never actually used.

I probably should mention this would be used instead of a tail or wagon or even the inset vise. The bench is going to be portable so I'm concerned about handles etc. hanging off the end and getting damaged. The surface vise and wonder dogs could be removed from the bench for transport and storage. They also wouldn't add to the length of the bench top.

I'm leaning towards getting the surface vise, wonder dog and some of the bench dogs for use in a 4" thick top. My big concern with the surface vise, is the overall length for use on a 6' 6" long top. I guess that's part of the reason to try both of the Veritas devices.

Blog Entries
    You might also check out the Veritas Planing Stop, under benches. They are stops not vises but very easy to use even with thin pieces of stock. They take up very little bench space when in use and none when not in use. Two provide even more security. They could even be used with a Surface Vise, Wonder Dogs or a Bench Blade.

Before getting the surface vice, I suggest just getting the wonder dog or even the wonder pup and a couple of hold fasts. Then make a few battens and see how these work out for you. Here's a short video on using battens and hold fasts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNrof3cd1cA