Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help with a Stanley 78

I need help with a Stanley 78

I seem to have nothing but problems with this type of plane, and I haven't even been able to use it.

I bought a craftsman 78 awhile ago, it had the wrong blade in it. I bought 3 other blades trying to find one that fits but no luck, so I shelved it. After reading Paul Sellers blog posts about Stanley 78s, I found a good deal on one and purchased it. Got it in the mail today, and guess what, had the wrong blade in it.

Are there any sources for this blades? I need one to fit a mid century 78 with depth control lever.

Thanks,
    Ken

The Craftsman could have been a Sargent, or a Millers-Falls. Either way, the blade is subtly different from the more common Stanley.

As to the replacement blade/cutter for your new Stanley: http://stjamesbaytoolco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    The Craftsman could have been a Sargent, or a Millers-Falls. Either way, the blade is subtly different from the more common Stanley.

As to the replacement blade/cutter for your new Stanley: http://stjamesbaytoolco.com/
    Its a Sargent made for Craftsman, and I found out exactly how different the blades between all three are.

Thanks for the link, I'll give them a call and see if it's the blade I need.

For a Stanley or Wards No. 78 I would try nhplaneparts.com as Eric sells a lot of Stanley parts.

Blog Entries
    I have an old one laying around. I will try to remember to find it and take pictures of it tomorrow to see if the blade might fit your plane.

Not sure what type of adjuster mine has.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 06-14-2016 at 1:31 AM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Let me know if you can't find one. I think I have an extra. Bob Glenn
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    For a Stanley or Wards No. 78 I would try nhplaneparts.com as Eric sells a lot of Stanley parts.
    I had forgotten about them, thanks for the reminder

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I have an old one laying around. I will try to remember to find it and take pictures of it tomorrow to see if the blade might fit your plane.

Not sure what type of adjuster mine has.

jtk
    Thank you Jim, that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    Let me know if you can't find one. I think I have an extra. Bob Glenn
    Thank you for the offer, I'll send a PM if I can't find one.

Blog Entries
    Ken,

Just dug up my old rabbet plane. There is no accommodation for an adjuster. The back of the blade is totally smooth.

It has a broken lever cap and is pretty rusty. If you would like it, the whole plane, I will be able to get it to you tomorrow as the wife and I are traveling to Portland for an appointment at Kaiser Interstate in the afternoon.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Thank you for the offer Jim, very kind of you. I think I'll pass though

Ken, PM'd you. Same as the above, no adjuster slots on the bottom of the blade. Bob

Ken, I just checked the bay. Lots of cheap 78's, one lot of three starting at a buck. Also at least one iron for nine bucks. Good luck. Bob

One of my favorite planes to use is Record's version, the 778. Better than Stanley's 78 in several regards, IMO.

Been using my Wards ( Stanley) 78 for quite a while now, haven't had any problems yet. Of course, mine was on the minty side.......even has the depth adjuster lever. A bit hard on the left thumb, though. Have to watch how I grip the front end. Some companies placed a wooden knob up front, but then you cant use the bullnose option on them. Sargent added a cast "handle" sticking up ahead of the front end. It is also the first thing that breaks off.

Blog Entries
    Sargent added a cast "handle" sticking up ahead of the front end. It is also the first thing that breaks off.
    My Craftsman model has a little 'tongue' at the front. The blade has a 619 number on it. Do you know if that is the Sargent designation?

jtk

The irons for the Millers Falls 85 and 95 (and MF-made Craftsman 107-37039 and 3730) fit the Stanley planes with the adjuster, but likely not the Sargent-made ones with the horn up front.

I have both and checked quite some time ago, if that helps any.