Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need help with a Stanley 78

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My Craftsman model has a little 'tongue' at the front. The blade has a 619 number on it. Do you know if that is the Sargent designation?

jtk
    Yes. 619 was Sargent (now ARPS corp, whatever that is), 107 was MF and 187 was (is?) Stanley.

That little "tongue" is what Sargent cast on their version of the 78. Millers Falls used a different pattern on the tote part of the casting than Stanley...otherwise the same style.

The Stanley #78 is still an excellent plane to use despite its early vintage; the one I have is the Duplex model with the built in depth adjuster. Mine doesn't have the depth stop, but I don't find that a real issue. More importantly, the iron and knicker that's in service need to be sharp; the adjustable fence is set to match the required width of the rebate; and that you always work the depth of rebate with the grain.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 06-20-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Stewie,

Do you always use the #78 with two blades?

To the best of my knowledge they originally come with one blade and one lever cap.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim; I use the rear cutter (only) as it is in close proximity to the knicker (spur); the front cutter is set far forward to take any advantage of the spur's important role. An improvement in Duplex design would have seen 2 knickers in place; positioned slightly forward of the cutting edge on each iron. Attached are the instructions for the Stanley # 78 Duplex plane; within it notes the primary role of the front cutter. When the rebate is "stopped", or does not go the full length of the work, the Cutter should be fitted in the forward position in the Plane Body. http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~f...anley-078.html

Stewie;

I am going to try that with my MF. I have two irons and two lever caps. The second set were supposed to go to a restore, but that looks like an awesome idea.

But it might be a dumb idea. I'll find out tonight after work.

The depth adjustment lever on the Stanley#78 was introduced in 1925.

Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Canaday View Post
    I am going to try that with my MF. I have two irons and two lever caps. The second set were supposed to go to a restore, but that looks like an awesome idea.

But it might be a dumb idea. I'll find out tonight after work.
    I tried it. It was horrible. It just made the plane harder to push and without a depth adjument lever on the front, it was only possible to adjust either by hand or with a hammer. I shelved the idea.