Thread: Oregon CS1500 Electric Chainsaw -- First Impressions -- Impressive Value!

Oregon CS1500 Electric Chainsaw -- First Impressions -- Impressive Value!

I needed an electric chainsaw for cutting turning blanks from logs in the shop. As usual, I went full-on obsessive researching all my options. After deciding to go corded instead of battery, I was 99% settled on a Makita, around $250, when I stumbled across a real-world comparison of a Makita chain saw with a $126 Oregon CS1500. It left me impressed enough to drop $126 (free shipping with Amazon Prime) and take a chance.

And based on my first hour of use, I think the gamble is paying off.

Frankly, I expected something that felt a bit cheap and cheezy in my hands. The CS1500 is anything but. Build quality and fit/finish are excellent. It's well balanced. Though it may sound a bit trite, the CS1500 feels just like a chainsaw. I should explain that my frame of reference for that judgement is the first and last chainsaw I've ever owned, a Jonsered professional model that I bought new in the late seventies and did my very best to wear out. I cut a lot of Hemlock logs with that saw (that became lumber I built a house with) and immense quantities of firewood (oh, I wish I had some of the trees I burned back then!). We lived in northwestern Pennsylvania and the only heat we had for about ten years was a woodstove.

When I picked up the CS1500, it triggered a sensory recall of hefting that old Jonsered. The same balance, the same grip, the same sense of control. It surprised me, in a pleasant way. I miss that old saw.

At the price point, I expected some serious compromises, but the list is short. The only real shortcoming I've found so far is the lack of variable speed control. The trigger has two positions -- on and off. Period. Come to think of it, most of the time I spent cutting with the old Jonsered was spent with the hammer all the way down. Maybe variable speed isn't as important as I once thought.

The real test of course requires a few substantial logs. For my initial tests, I trimmed the ends of an 8" diameter piece of Maple. The Oregon CS1500 ran through it like a hot knife through butter. From there, I tried trimming the ends of a couple 14" diameter pieces of Maple. Again, the saw chewed its way through like it should. I tried my best to stall the saw, but couldn't do it. Even ripping a log longer than the saw bar length was easy, with power to spare.

Any you've got to love the chain sharpener!

The CS-1500 is a serious saw. At an incredible price. I'm going to do my best to find its weaknesses, but so far it's about the best cut-per-buck you'll find.

More as I work with it...

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

May I ask a question? In all the electric (corded) saws I have seen at any price point near $129, the planetary gear (I am referring to the big gear the runs the chain that is driven by a smaller gear on the motor) is plastic. In use, that gets hotter and hotter and starts to shear. If you would not mind looking at yours I would very much appreciate it.

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Case LR View Post
    I needed an electric chainsaw for cutting turning blanks from logs in the shop. As usual, I went full-on obsessive researching all my options. After deciding to go corded instead of battery, I was 99% settled on a Makita, around $250, when I stumbled across a real-world comparison of a Makita chain saw with a $126 Oregon CS1500. It left me impressed enough to drop $126 (free shipping with Amazon Prime) and take a chance.

And based on my first hour of use, I think the gamble is paying off.

Frankly, I expected something that felt a bit cheap and cheezy in my hands. The CS1500 is anything but. Build quality and fit/finish are excellent. It's well balanced. Though it may sound a bit trite, the CS1500 feels just like a chainsaw. I should explain that my frame of reference for that judgement is the first and last chainsaw I've ever owned, a Jonsered professional model that I bought new in the late seventies and did my very best to wear out. I cut a lot of Hemlock logs with that saw (that became lumber I built a house with) and immense quantities of firewood (oh, I wish I had some of the trees I burned back then!). We lived in northwestern Pennsylvania and the only heat we had for about ten years was a woodstove.

When I picked up the CS1500, it triggered a sensory recall of hefting that old Jonsered. The same balance, the same grip, the same sense of control. It surprised me, in a pleasant way. I miss that old saw.

At the price point, I expected some serious compromises, but the list is short. The only real shortcoming I've found so far is the lack of variable speed control. The trigger has two positions -- on and off. Period. Come to think of it, most of the time I spent cutting with the old Jonsered was spent with the hammer all the way down. Maybe variable speed isn't as important as I once thought.

The real test of course requires a few substantial logs. For my initial tests, I trimmed the ends of an 8" diameter piece of Maple. The Oregon CS1500 ran through it like a hot knife through butter. From there, I tried trimming the ends of a couple 14" diameter pieces of Maple. Again, the saw chewed its way through like it should. I tried my best to stall the saw, but couldn't do it. Even ripping a log longer than the saw bar length was easy, with power to spare.

Any you've got to love the chain sharpener!

The CS-1500 is a serious saw. At an incredible price. I'm going to do my best to find its weaknesses, but so far it's about the best cut-per-buck you'll find.

More as I work with it...

D.
    Dan, I just want to thank you for posting this review. I've got a Husqvarna 450 Rancher with a 20" bar for my heavier work, and a Stihl MS181C-BE with a 16" bar and narrow kerf for more detailed cuts. These are gas-powered, and I've been using them for all of my chainsaw purposes, including cutting fallen trees, logs, and bowl blanks. They do a wonderful job. The problem is, these chainsaws are a little loud for when I cut my wood up in the residential area that I live in, and I hate using them in the garage not only because of the noise, but because of the exhaust that naturally accumulates in there. So, lately I've been contemplating whether I should get an electric one that is quieter for use in my neighborhood, and your review was right on time. After reading your review, I just went out and bought an Oregon CS-1500. I'm about to go have my fun with it right now
    Last edited by Chris Gunsolley; 06-14-2016 at 1:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by terry mccammon View Post
    May I ask a question? In all the electric (corded) saws I have seen at any price point near $129, the planetary gear (I am referring to the big gear the runs the chain that is driven by a smaller gear on the motor) is plastic. In use, that gets hotter and hotter and starts to shear. If you would not mind looking at yours I would very much appreciate it.
    Rather than take the time to tear mine apart, I dropped an email to Oregon's Technical Services department. I sent the email at 12:23 this afternoon and received a response at 5:32 PM -- impressive response in today's world!

The answer to your question: The gearing is all metal.

Thanks!

D.

I shaved my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gunsolley View Post
    Dan, I just want to thank you for posting this review. I've got a Husqvarna 450 Rancher with a 20" bar for my heavier work, and a Stihl MS181C-BE with a 16" bar and narrow kerf for more detailed cuts. These are gas-powered, and I've been using them for all of my chainsaw purposes, including cutting fallen trees, logs, and bowl blanks. They do a wonderful job. The problem is, these chainsaws are a little loud for when I cut my wood up in the residential area that I live in, and I hate using them in the garage not only because of the noise, but because of the exhaust that naturally accumulates in there. So, lately I've been contemplating whether I should get an electric one that is quieter for use in my neighborhood, and your review was right on time. After reading your review, I just went out and bought an Oregon CS-1500. I'm about to go have my fun with it right now
    So, how do you like it, Chris? I know it doesn't have the gonads of the Husqy, but it continues to surprise me! And the 18" bar is handy, too.

D.

I shaved my head.