Thread: AAW Symposium, and a Major Gloat - new Stratos 230 Lathe

AAW Symposium, and a Major Gloat - new Stratos 230 Lathe

I attended the AAW symposium in Atlanta this past weekend, and saw plenty of good demos, neat gadgets and tools, and some extremely impressive work by turners around the world.
    In addition to driving the hour and fifteen minutes daily to Atlanta from Watkinsville, I made the mistake of parking a mile from the venue and had to hoof it back and forth each day. Some of this went past some pretty sketchy areas... although I couldn't help but gawk at the architecture on old churches. I got some neat pix along the way...

I spoke with Nick Cook, David Marks, Beth Ireland, Alan Trout (nice to meet you Alan!), Mike Mahoney, and several others.. Alan helped me buy some tool handles from Doug Thompson... I stopped by Johannes Michelson's booth (Hannestools.com) chatted with his significant other, and threw my name in the hat.

Also at the symposium they were raffling off a Oneway Lathe. I tried to buy a ticket with all the money in my pocket ($4.00- mostly quarters!) but they weren't having any of that! I meant to borrow a fiver from my buddy, but kept forgetting to ask... By the time I remembered, they'd raffled the darn thing off before lunch on Sunday.

So, I got a hamburger from one of the inside vendors and was chowing down when my phone started ringing... I dug it out of my pocket and saw an unfamiliar number from.. Vermont?!! Geez! Durn telemarketers... "click".

Later I noticed that whoever it was had left a voicemail. Ok, says I, lets see if I need to block this number...

HOLY MACKEREL!

It was Johannes Michelson congratulating me on winning the drawing for the new Stratos CO-230!!!! When I told him I'd ignored the call because I thought he was a telemarketer, he just cracked up laughing...

I kept looking around for friends to tell them the good news and share my excitement with, but all I could see were complete strangers- so I told 'em anyway!

Not sure when they'll ship it to me, but it sure will be an upgrade from my Jet EVS 1642 which has been giving me trouble anyway...

Here's the only picture I have of the Demo Lathe, and a few shots of the brochure. Wish I'd taken more pix...

Oh, and the only information I can find out about this lathe is on this website:
    http://www.hopewoodturning.co.uk/lathes_29.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 06-14-2016 at 11:45 AM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

2. Now, how cool is that! Congrats on the new lathe, Jim! When you get it up and operational, give us a review!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I did look at that lathe, and my first thought is that the motor is on backwards. The housing sticks out past the headstock. Jet used to do the same thing with one of their lathes. If you reverse mount a bowl to turn off the base, it is in the way. For the price though, great deal.

robo hippy

Wow, congratulations Jim! That looks like a great lathe. I'm not familiar with them so I'm interested to hear your impressions.

Doug

Saw that lathe at the symposium last year for the first time. Never heard of it either before that but has a unique design and looks like it should be a nice performer. Congrats.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-17-2016 at 6:02 PM.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

You lucky dog, congrats!!

Wow that is great, congratulations. If I had not just got a new lathe I would be jealous. Great score

Very cool winning. It was a great symposium. Some new tools introduced

Wow Congrats Jim! I guess you`ll look twice at those "crank" callers .
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Jim,

Cool deal! have fun and it was nice meeting you as well.

Alan

Sold off the 1642 yesterday to a friend who needed a longer lathe. So I have space cleared out for this thing, and am waiting with 'bated breath.

'Sposed to be here tomorrow or Friday.

Just in time for the 4th of July weekend!
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

12. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    Sold off the 1642 yesterday to a friend who needed a longer lathe. So I have space cleared out for this thing, and am waiting with 'bated breath.

'Sposed to be here tomorrow or Friday.

Just in time for the 4th of July weekend!
    YIPPIEEEE!!! Congrats Jim......post a review after you warm that thing up a bit!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

i am curious , how do you like this lathe? there is one for sale for $3k down here
    ed

Some info. https://bradleyrm.com/colt-stratos-230/

Looks to be a very nice lathe. Congratulations. I'd also like to hear you impressions
    after using it for awhile.

Wow...how awesome is that!!