Thread: CBN wheels and Trend Lapping fluid

CBN wheels and Trend Lapping fluid

Another on going experiment... I commented a while ago, after getting a 1000 grit CBN wheel, about how Terry Gerros (turner from Salem and organizer of the Oregon Woodturning Symposium) put some of the Trend lapping fluid (the blue stuff available at Woodcraft and most other turning supply places) on his CBN wheels to clean them up. Well, I have been playing with it a lot more, and am impressed with what it can do. This experiment is in no way complete. What I have found is that using it cleans up all the deep color on the wheel from the sludge my wet bowls sling on it and all the black that seems to go all the way down and never comes up when I try to clean the wheel with Ajax or similar cleaners. What it also appears to do, if I keep the wheel wet is to pull off, or at least aid in removing build up of soft metal that you are not supposed to grind on CBN wheels. I took one of the Big Ugly tools that was rough ground to about 75 degrees, and ground it to 70 on the CBN. I wet the wheel first. The bottom part of the Big Ugly is cold rolled steel, and will build up on the CBN wheel. Well, I got zero build up of the soft metal on the wheel when sharpening it. I have also found that if I do have some build up on the wheel of soft steel, the Trend fluid seems to pull it off a lot quicker than using a big scraper of M2. The spot on the wheel where I was grinding looked more shiny than the rest of the wheel, and it still cuts well. The wheels do not cut like they did when they were brand new, and I don't think they will ever go back to that point. I can't tell if there is micro build up on the abrasives or not. I don't have a microscope type camera which would be the only way to tell for sure.

Now, by no means should you all go out and put this on your wheels and think it is fine to grind any type of soft steel on your CBN wheels, but I think this has some interesting possibilities. The wet wheel may also help to keep dust down. Cindy Drozda did have an old clip up about using a paint brush with oil on it to keep the wheel wet. I asked the guy with Trend if other lite oils would work and his comment was that the Trend fluid was designed specifically for lapping diamond honing cards and stones.

robo hippy

You are full of interesting experiments Reed. As I understand it the Trend fluid is finer than oils like WD-40 that some use. This would allow deeper penetration. I haven't seen anything about it with CBN wheels so again you are pioneering for us.

Trend fluid is Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon.

J. D. can you translate? Like paraffin and a fine oil type thing???

robo hippy

Good experiment yeah.

Just read on another forum that a turner was told that the fluid is the same as anti freeze.... Not sure about that...

robo hippy

I am no expert at reading MSDS, but this one seems to say that it's just mineral spirits. Kind of pricey for what it is if that's the case!

http://www.trend-uk.com/en/JA/trend/...lkLnBkZg%3D%3D

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Like paraffin and a fine oil type thing???

robo hippy
    That's my limited understanding after doing some reading.

The MSDS gives two ingredients for the Trend lapping compound.

40-70% IsoparaffinicHydrocarbon 64742-47-8 -- which is the sole ingredient in Klean Strip Odorless Mineral Spirits. https://www.nwmissouri.edu/naturalsc...%20Spirits.pdf

20-50% IsoparaffinicHydrocarbon 64742-48-9 -- the sole ingredient in Comet odourless mineral spirits: http://www.cometchemical.com/MSDS/Od...0SpiritsEN.pdf

When I sharpen my engraving gravers I use diamond coated wheels. To keep the dust down and keep the discs from clogging up I use a mix called Ed's Red Bore Cleaner, formula is here. http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

Basically is a homemade rifle bore cleaner that helps to remove lead deposits in rifle bores. It uses automatic transmission fluid, acetone, mineral spirits and kerosene. Not sure if this is like the Trend Lapping Fluid, but if you are a shooter, you can use it to clean your weapons.

As to the brush applying the fluid, when cutting on my metal lathe, I use chip brushes from Harbor Freight. I keep cans with various cutting fluids, as the item is turning I just brush on some of the cutting or tapping fluid. The brush helps to keep it from slinging all over the place.