Thread: Regenerative vacuum blower started Smoking ?

Regenerative vacuum blower started Smoking ?

10 Hp Regenerative Pump
    Recently I Sold a Vacuum Blower and Buyer has had trouble, trying to point them in the right direction.
    Vacuum blower starts and runs but recently starter motor started smoking and stopped working. They also started it several times in a short window (Was told to start it no more than 4 times a day - Could be wrong.)
    Buyer used a 60 amp breaker & Tool plate says 40 amps. The Blower was bought new from shopbot and they explained that the motor had fail safes if overheating occurred (To prevent dead heading The Pump I think and breaker would trip because it was drawing to much power).
    My thought is the break was to high when the machine was rated at 40 amps and this is possibly causing the problem. We had our breaker trip once a while ago when the machine wasn't getting enough air (New relief valve solved this).
    Any input would be helpful - Trying to at least give them some oversight into the issue.
    3X Camfive 1200 48" x 24" 100watt Tube
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer
    Laguna Smartshop 2 - 4x8 ATC

Did it have a pressure relief valve external to the regenerative blower vacuum pump and an intake filter?

60amp breaker protects the wiring in his wall not the device plugged into it. I am betting you personally plug smaller devices than the rated capacity of your breaker/wire on about 99% of your circuits in your life. Look in your kitchen at what is plugged in.

I would guess faulty pump motor or the pump getting debris and now warped impeller.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 06-14-2016 at 7:28 PM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Yes it has both Externally - After reading some other sites Im thinking the Amp was too high causing the machine to overload and over heat. They stated the smoke came from the wiring box on the motor. Im no were close to an electrician so Im trying to learn as i go.
    Wire rating makes a huge jump from 40 amp to 60.
    Last edited by Robert Bonenfant; 06-14-2016 at 7:29 PM.
    3X Camfive 1200 48" x 24" 100watt Tube
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer
    Laguna Smartshop 2 - 4x8 ATC

That pump consumes what it needs. If it melted wires that pumps wiring failed or had wiring too small. Still the pump problem not his electrical. Its not his CB's job to trip when the pump wiring is too small.

Non spinning 3phase motor is not consuming amps just because it is hooked to 60amp rated cb and wire. Just hooking wire to a device does not cause it to consume amps no matter the max capacity the circuit could deliver.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 06-14-2016 at 7:34 PM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Like Mike said anything plugged in will only use the amps that it needs to run. you have a computer that only needs 3 amps plugged into a 15 or 20 amp circuit the doesn't catch fire