Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter set of chisels, gouges, etc. for newb?

Starter set of chisels, gouges, etc. for newb?

After picking up my new to me PM 3520A I stopped by a Rockler's to purchase a set of chisels, gouges, etc. but quickly got overwhelmed with the number of choices. It also didn't take long to realize that I might have to spend as much for these tools as what the lathe cost me. So, what would be a good starter set for a complete newb?

Yes, you will spend as much on the tooling. But you can start gently. I over-analyze everything and usually have the ideas before the money, so then I re-over-analyze. But here is what I did and I am very happy with it:

Harbor Freight High Speed Steel "Lathe Chisel" set. I still use all of them. $65
    Bowl Gouge from Thompson Tools. Call them for specific advice. He will lead you to the best tool for you, not to the most expensive one. $60
    Slow or Variable Speed Grinder. You can get the grinder now and CBN wheels someday later. At least Rikon 80-805 for $100. If you can, Rikon 80-808 for $220.
    Wolverine $90 and Varigrind jig $60 for sharpening ASAP.

This whole set-up is under $400 or just over $500 depending on which grinder.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

+1 on Brians Rikon advice but I would go differently for gouges. While you're learning how to sharpen and experimenting with profiles, etc, I would start with either Benjamin Best from Penn State or Hurricane from The Woodturning Store. Three bowl gouges for @ $55, two HD inboard scrapers (BB) for $47; 3 spindle gouges for @ $40; roughing gouge for $21 and a diamond parting tool for for @ $15. This gives you all the variety you will need to get started with both bowls and spindles. If you don't already have a chuck, I would suggest either the HTC-100 or HTC-125 from Hurricane. I have two of each and am very pleased with both value and performance. Once you settle on grind profiles you can start acquiring tools with better steel as well as more specialized uses. I know that it's a bit more expensive than Brians suggestion but it gives you more to play with while still not busting the bank.

And I 100% agree with all of Joe's recommendations too.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

5. +1 on Joe's recommendations........If I could swing it I would begin with the Hurricane set - http://www.thewoodturningstore.com/p...tml?cPath=4_18

or secondly,the Benjamin's best set that is similar in tools. I believe the Hurricane tools will have better metal in them.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Steve,

If you have a club nearby or some other turners you can hang out with, you can see and maybe try the tools before you buy. Some have extra tools - I keep a box of freebees to lend or give to people getting started. Even very cheap carbon steel tools that many turners today might sneer at will work to get started. (Turners used these effectively long before HSS and powdered metals and carbide came along.

A club would help a lot since you can watch others and ask questions. Woodturners, in general, are happy, generous people!

No need to go crazy at first with tools. I bought my first set at Sears and slowly added to it; I still use some of these today.

You can turn almost anything with these five tools:
    - Parting tool
    - Roughing gouge
    - spindle gouge
    - skew chisel
    - bowl gouge
    Nearly any size of these should work fine. Buy some higher quality tools after you learn on these or grind them to nubs!

You HAVE to have a way to sharpen. The old saying, "If you can't sharpen, you can't turn" is true. It is VERY frustrating and counterproductive to try to work with a dull tool. I knew people who took their tools to Woodcraft for sharpening when dull. They never got much turning done since sometimes tools must be resharpened several times while turning one piece. Some people without a way to sharpen go the easy route and use only carbide tools. I don't recommend this.

There are some good books that will explain everything and provide instruction. I learned from Richard Raffan's "Turning Wood" and Mike Darlow's "Fundamentals of Woodturning."
    https://www.amazon.com/Turning-Wood-...56X/ref=sr_1_1
    https://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-...557/ref=sr_1_1
    Some people say they learn better from watching YouTube videos and they have their place, but for me there is nothing better than a good book. Most of the videos show you how something is done but not necessarily why and certainly there is not enough time for depth. And watch out, there are hundreds of very poor turners publishing videos. Some are so bad it is embarrassing but how would a beginner know the difference?

BTW, both Raffan and Darlow and other experts recommend to learn spindle turning first. This will teach you the basics of how the edge interacts with the wood and teach you excellent tool control. They say once you master spindle turning, other turning including bowl turning is easier. They say it doesn't work the opposite way - I've met good bowl turners who couldn't make a decent finial. When I teach brand new students I always start out with the skew chisel, they learn to plane in just a few minutes (I provide an initial cylinder), switch to the roughing gouge and learn to make a cylinder with a square blank, back to the skew to learn "V" groves, then learn coves and beads the spindle gouge. Most of this is done with a 2x2x12 or so piece of cedar, pine, or other soft wood.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    +1 on Joe's recommendations........If I could swing it I would begin with the Hurricane set - http://www.thewoodturningstore.com/p...tml?cPath=4_18

or secondly,the Benjamin's best set that is similar in tools. I believe the Hurricane tools will have better metal in them.
    Yeah, I simply cannot recommend Benjamin's Best bowl gouges. I bought one since they were so cheap a few years ago just to see what I thought and the metal is simply bad and doesn't hold an edge worth a darn at all. I have no experience with the Hurricane tools.

Ask yourself and then answer the following question first...what do I want to turn? A bowl. Then get one 5/8" bowl gouge and maybe a round nose scraper. Eventually you decide to work on spindles...then grab a good skew and practice, practice, practice. My point is...if you buy tools first you'll never have enough and you'll find you spent a lot of money on things you'll never use.

If you don't have a sharpening station or don't plan on venturing down that road any time soon then consider any one of the carbide tools...more expensive in the long run in having to replace the cutters but you can avoid having to worry about sharpening in the short term.

Suggest the end goal dictate what you purchase. Good luck and let us know which road you take...cheers, John

9. Quote Originally Posted by Justin Stephen View Post
    Yeah, I simply cannot recommend Benjamin's Best bowl gouges. I bought one since they were so cheap a few years ago just to see what I thought and the metal is simply bad and doesn't hold an edge worth a darn at all. I have no experience with the Hurricane tools.
    Our club purchased several of the BB sets, and they are used all the time with goood results, and they seem to hold an edge fairly well. They are not a Thompson, D-way, or high end but for a starter set for learning they are more than adequate.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

A lot of really good advice here.

For a beginner, I am definitely a proponent of the Harbor Freight set (don't get the really cheap one... there are two nearly identical sets very close in price, one with red handles one with unstained wood handles... about $65 as noted above). It definitely has its shortcomings though. It also does not come with a bowl gouge, so if you're making bowls, you'll need to get that separately. I've had good luck with Benjamin's Best and Hurricane (Thompson is well known as some of the best tools on the market, but they aren't cheap). You don't have to have a slow speed grinder and Wolverine setup to sharpen -- I sharpened for almost a year freehand on a cheap Harbor Freight belt sander -- but it really makes things much easier. If you have the money to get it, it's well worth it -- especially for bowl gouges. If not, don't be afraid to grind away at the tools with a belt sander or whatever you have available until you get the hang of it. The only way to learn it is to do it.

You will have trouble over time really knowing what tools you're going to use most in the end. My go-to tools include bowl gouges (primarily a 5/8" V-shape), a skew, a parting tool, a spindle roughing gouge, and a small round-nosed scraper. Mostly I make bowls and pens right now. Of course, YMMV.

Not mentioned above is a face shield. When he realized I wasn't working with one, my mentor threatened to buy one and deliver it to my shop in person. It can be annoying at times, but there are a lot of turners out there with crooked noses that can tell you it's better to have one! You can get a pretty decent face shield from Harbor Freight for less than $20 (if I remember correctly). Also, if you do a lot of sanding (I certainly did as a beginner), I quickly found out that I needed something to help reduce the amount of dust I breathed in. I tried the really cheap masks, but found that my breath would fog my glasses, so I stepped up to a disposable with a vent in it. Still hate wearing the thing, but I hate blowing wood dust out of my nose for days on end more.

Welcome to the vortex!

What do you plan on turning?

The advice is all good. However, I would say bite the bullet and just buy a CBN wheel now.

On the contrary...don't count out the carbide "EZ" style tools. What they lack in versatility and romance they make up for in convenience. You can be up and running without any investment in sharpening equipment.

Don't forget work-holding... I think you'd do well to get a scroll chuck, face place, and live center if you do not already own them.

Lots of great advice given already but I have to agree that it really depends on what it is you plan on turning. Believe me when I say that it is really easy to pick up tools that you think you might use - only to find them gathering dust later because they can't do the style of turning you end up wanting to do.

I also agree with getting with your local turning club - folks there are always willing to help. If you would add your location to your personal profile info - there might even be a Creeker living nearby that can help out!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Agreeing with Prashun. If I was starting over, I would start with a set of carbide tools, and then add on individual tools when I knew why I needed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Our club purchased several of the BB sets, and they are used all the time with goood results, and they seem to hold an edge fairly well. They are not a Thompson, D-way, or high end but for a starter set for learning they are more than adequate.
    I did a direct comparison between the BB and a Sorby of the same size, both ground the same way on the same grinder, and the difference in edge longevity was nothing less than stark. As my Sorby loses in a head-to-head against my Thompsons (albeit only slightly), the difference between a BB and a Thompson is going to be pretty substantial.

I don't have a problem recommending cheap secondary tools for new turners. Heck, all these years later and I still use a couple of the tools out of my first Harbor Freight set from time to time. However, if they are going to be faceplate turning, I don't get the logic of recommending a substandard bowl gouge since that will be their main tool. It just seems like that will make the learning process more painful, most especially since learning to sharpen and learning that you need to sharpen more often than you initially suspect are lessons that we all learn as we begin our woodturning journey. The difference between a marginal tool and an excellent tool is $20 vs. $60. He doesn't need nine bowl gouges or even three, but just one good one, probably a 1/2". I think the extra $40 is money well-spent for the tool that he is going to be using 80% of the time if he wants to turn bowls, etc.

Just my $0.02.

Well, this thread has provided a good amount of material for thought. First of all I think the set of 8 turning tools mentioned above makes the best sense for me, especially because I don't have a specific direction in what I would like to turn at the moment. I would like to try my hand at spindles and bowls. The Hurricane set seems like a good way to go but I have some questions. The Woodturning Store states that the Hurricane woodturning sets come in two flavors, Standard and Professional Series. However, the tools they show online don't state which one is offered. Is the 8 piece set a Standard or Professional Series? I tried to find a Hurricane company website but couldn't find one. Seems odd considering they offer other products. Also, are the turning tools made in the USA?

Thanks for those that brought up tool sharpening. Just so happens I have a Baldor 6" bench grinder that was purchased used. It has a Veritas tool rest. Is this a useable setup for sharpening wood turning tools? It has white, fine grit grinding wheels on it now. The CBN wheels look appealing but I would like to start with the wheels that I have for now if possible.

My apologies for not including my location. I'll correct that after posting this. Unfortunately I live in a fairly remote part of Arizona (Kingman) and the closest club activity is probably Las Vegas, NV.