Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project recommendations for Advanced Beginner

Personally, I build pieces for my family. Built a dresser and chest of drawers for my daughter, chests for granddaughters, as well as small chests of drawers for bedside tables. Think my youngest son may be getting married, so plan to build chest and dresser for him as well. His house burned a few months ago, but have not had time to get on his projects yet. Too many shop improvement projects, as well as work on the farm.

I built my first several furniture projects with less tools than you mention, all of mine being job site carpentry tools. I feel like doing projects is the best way to learn woodworking, and find out what tools you really need. My first fine furniture piece was a walnut coffee table that we still love 6 years later.
    Yes hardwood can be expensive but when you are pursuing a hobby cost us almost always involved. I wouldn't consider a failed project any more a waste of money than all the money I spent on golf trying to improve my game. In both scenarios I enjoyed the time spent and learned from my mistakes.
    Build anything you want to.

I'm finishing up a Greene and Greene styled rafter tail table from plans from Darrell Peart. He includes diagrams with all dimensions, cutting list and a 2 hour video of him building the table step by step. I thought it was a great skill builder. You can find the plans here: http://www.shopwoodworking.com/build...-table-grouped.

Pick whatever you'd like to make. Go at it and learn what you need to learn to do the job. Don't be afraid to throw imperfect parts away. Skill is developed by doing, although thinking helps it is not adequate without doing. Mostly, have fun and keep your tools sharp!

Howard

Thanks for all of the great feedback and suggestions.

My wife may have settled this issue for me. In talking about this last night, she said she would like a custom tansu style cabinet for the master bath, so I guess I know what my next project will be.

Going to build dresser in soft wood using the #55 plane next, you can set your self a challenge; already getting ideas for design, will have to take progress pictures. Wish I had done pictures of the spoke fence. Challenge yourself with design.

Honestly, my personal policy is that every project should challenge me in some way; a new technique, a unique design, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Build something you need. I've never gotten into projects for the sake of projects, or setting up a particular challenge. (The challenges always seem to show up!)

My first project was a hammered dulcimer, because I wanted one and back then there was no commercial source. I made finger joints to put the case together because I couldn't envision how to do dovetails in corners that weren't at 90 degrees. Even doing finger joints for a trapezoid had my instructor at the HS woodworking shop adult education program shaking his head. I learned about building jigs, and that sometimes you spent a day making a jig to let you complete a cut in 10 minutes. If I were coaching a newbie I'd tell them to make something square first!

The second project was a banjo. No shortage of challenges there! Bending quarter inch curly maple into an 11" circle presented an interesting one. Nothing square on a banjo either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Honestly, my personal policy is that every project should challenge me in some way; a new technique, a unique design, etc.
    I agree, but I'm an amateur and have the time for this. There are pros on here that would not be challenged by the stuff I build.

I post predominantly on the Hand Tool side since those are my preferred tools. I do, however, believe that one should develop skills with all tools in order to be a rounded woodworker. So here is my challenge to those on this side of the forum who do not use hand tools: include them with your next project. Challenge yourself to use a new tool in a new way, to form a joint you would have otherwise avoided.

A few years ago I built an exact copy of Hans Wegner's "The Chair" (or "The Round Chair") using predominantly hand tools (the factor build it with copy lathes and CNC machines). The challenge was obviously to be exact, but the joint of particular challenge was the dovetail joint in the chair back ...

The timber is Fiddleback Jarrah ...

Last year I completed a modern Bombe - I was challenged to build curved and bow front drawers with compound dovetails (handcut, of course), but my taste runs to contemporary styles rather than French Provincial.

The timber .. carcase is Makore and the drawer fronts are figured Jarrah ..

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 10-29-2017 at 10:18 AM.

A jointer would be the next machine i would suggest adding to your tool set. Jointers and planers are both needed when starting from rough lumber. The jointer makes one side flat and the plane makes the opposite side parallel, ie. of equal thickness throughout. The joionter is also the easiest way to straighten edges in order to glue boards to make a wider panel with invisible glue lines.

Find something you need for your house. There is nothing more satisfying than ending up with a piece that you would have other wise bought. Don't worry if it doesn't turn out exactly the way you want it to the first time. I've been told that most pieces are much better the second time around because of the practice from the first time and the fact that any design problems can be fixed. Also, making a full-size model of construction grade and scrap (even cardboard sometimes) is always a great idea. It allows you to see whether the size and design are what you want before investing in hardwood. It can just be nailed and glued together except where you want to try out some joinery for the final version.

To sustain your interest during the "dark moments" of the build it needs to be something with a design you really like. Take a look at a photo of Thomas Jefferson's "dumb waiter" table (not the elevator). They have a long history but are not seen much now. Kinda' serves as a mobile coffee table without the trip hazard!

That Bombe chest of drawers is stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Mason-Darnell View Post
    Thanks for all of the great feedback and suggestions.

My wife may have settled this issue for me. In talking about this last night, she said she would like a custom tansu style cabinet for the master bath, so I guess I know what my next project will be.
    Building what you love can be a great motivation.

I would suggest doing something soon involving wood turning or chair building, maybe a stool. Once you realize not everything has to be flat, straight and square a new world of creative expression will come alive for you.

Good luck on your cabinet, and as a married guy myself might I suggest that building things for your spouse is a great way to get a decent tool budget...just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    This is my thought also.