Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Framing Slicks for Leveling

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    There are "green wood" tools that are often used to remove larger amounts of wood before planes come into play: carpenters/carving axes, adzes, drawknives, scorps/inshaves, large gouges and carving knives....
    This reminds me... depending on just how much wood you want to remove and your skills you might want to look at single-bevel joiners' hatchets.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Since nobody else has done the honors, here are cambered blades:
    Attachment 339204

The leftmost is a scrub blade with r=3", meaning that the leading edge is ground to a circular profile with a radius of 3". The second-from-left is also a scrub blade, but with r=4". The second from right is a Jack (#5) blade with r=6", and the rightmost is also a jack (Veritas #5-1/4W) blade at r=12".

The general idea behind cambering is that it enables you to take narrow-but-deep shavings with feathered edges, which have proven to be very efficient for bulk material removal as you describe here. These take very deep shavings if used at full width, with the blade extended such that the corners are flush with the sole. For example the r=3" scrub blade and the r=6" jack blade both take 60-70 mil (~1/16") shavings at full width. For most roughing work they are not used fully extended, meaning that the shaving is narrower than the blade and therefore also shallower.

Anticipating the next question, a scrub is a fairly simple (no cap iron or adjuster) plane made specifically for bulk material removal:
    Attachment 339205
    Very nice work on those blades Patrick! They look like they will get the job done very nicely. I'm surprised you use the LVBUS for your roughing plane though. Don't you like it for smoothing? I like mine for the most part but it is a tad bit heavy - most of the time i seem to grab my #3 for smoothing but I might use the BUS for the last pass or two with the PMV11 blade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I dropped the plane and it broke the pretty brass nut that controls the sliding plate.

My replacement is a Shop Fox version of the 60 1/2. It is steel, not iron. It has a nice brass handle and two brass nuts. I think it would have survived the impact.
    It feels really good. It is very well made. If your in the market for such a plane, check it out.
    I posted this in the wrong thread. Ohhh well

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Very nice work on those blades Patrick! They look like they will get the job done very nicely. I'm surprised you use the LVBUS for your roughing plane though. Don't you like it for smoothing? I like mine for the most part but it is a tad bit heavy - most of the time i seem to grab my #3 for smoothing but I might use the BUS for the last pass or two with the PMV11 blade.
    I don't use the LVBUS for roughing. There would be two problems with that: At 2.25" its blade is wider than needed. More importantly, its 12-deg bed means that I'd have to put a LOT of camber on the blade to achieve a "roughing worthy" shaving profile.

The 4 blades in the post were from a scrub (the 2 on the left) and a pair of 2" wide BD jacks (the 2 on the right).
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 06-16-2016 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    I don't use the LVBUS for roughing. There would be two problems with that: At 2.25" its blade is wider than needed. More importantly, it's 12-deg bed means that I'd have to put a LOT of camber on the blade to achieve a "roughing worthy" shaving profile.

The 4 blades in the post were from a scrub (the 2 on the left) and a pair of 2" wide BD jacks (the 2 on the right).
    My mistake, I thought the plane in the picture was the LBUS. Now on closer inspection I see it is smaller. From a quick glance at the side view it does look very similar to the BUS. WHy by the way, did they make the casting the way the did? I can't figure out a real benefit unless its simply weight reduction

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    My mistake, I thought the plane in the picture was the LBUS. Now on closer inspection I see it is smaller. From a quick glance at the side view it does look very similar to the BUS. WHy by the way, did they make the casting the way the did? I can't figure out a real benefit unless its simply weight reduction
    The plane in the picture is a scrub, and the same size as a Stanley 40-1/2. You don't shoot with one of those so there's no reason to have flat sides. I don't know why Veritas makes the casting wider like that in the bottom-front, though IIRC Derek took his BUS (which also has that feature) to a machine shop and had the sides ground flat. It's a nonissue for a scrub so I've never worried about it.

windows e 004 (800x600).jpgAnother look at a Scrub plane iron. It's definitely the right tool for the job, and also a lot of fun to throw shavings three feet in the air with.

Well it looks like I'm getting a scrub plane. Thanks for the advice gentlemen, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kirkland View Post
    Well it looks like I'm getting a scrub plane. Thanks for the advice gentlemen, much appreciated
    If you have a spare jack (or a spare blade for your jack) try cambering that to get a feel for how you like to work. At the very least that will inform whether you want a #40-sized or #40-1/2 (LN, LV) scrub. The one in my picture was a 40-1/2 sized LV, with a 1.5" wide blade. I have 2 blades for it, one at 3" camber radius and the other at 4", though at some point I may increase the 4" one to 5 or so.

Keep in mind that with a cambered blade the actual cut width can be controlled by extension, so you can "simulate" a narrow plane using a wider one.

EDIT: I should note that even though I have a 40-1/2 sized scrub I take cuts narrower than 1.25" with it the vast majority of the time. IMO there's no harm in doing that, and I like having the option to "go big", but I know a lot of people who find the 40-1/2 unwieldly. As with many things, it's subjective.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 06-17-2016 at 12:39 PM.

I have a converted (peverted?) Stanley handyman with lots and lots of camber that I use (its a #4) as a scrub and love it. Can't really get myself to pull the trigger on an actual scrub plane as this one works so well.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    I have a converted (peverted?) Stanley handyman with lots and lots of camber that I use (its a #4) as a scrub and love it. Can't really get myself to pull the trigger on an actual scrub plane as this one works so well.
    I was well on the way toward acquiring a #40 until I did the very same. A true scrub might be better but I can't imagine it would be that much better.

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear it! If you run into trouble just post up and I am glad to offer opinion.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Glad to hear it! If you run into trouble just post up and I am glad to offer opinion.
    I'll be sure to do that

As a former timber framer and someone who has built my fair share of monster, slab tables.... I offer 2 words. Scrub Plane.