Thread: Recipe for Garnett Ultraseal?

Blog Entries

Recipe for Garnett Ultraseal?

Hi, I'm using Target Coatings products on a walnut bed I've built for my daughter. Target used to sell a water-based garnett-color shellac (Ultraseal), but stopped making it several years ago. I've searched for recipes to tint the Amber Ultraseal, but the only one I've found seems to use ColorFX tints, and I have TransTint. I substituted TransTint colors for the ColorFX, but the result was a shellac that was very ruby colored. I've sanded off the offending finish, but would like to know if any Creeker's have a recipe using TransTint to produce Garnett out of Amber Ultraseal?

Thanks,

Mike

Have you called Jeff at Target for any insight on this? I think that he can give you a place to start with regards to coming close to the color he used for his old product. And if I remember correctly a conversation I had with him some years back, the TransTint was a product that could be used to get close to the color. However I don't remember which TransTint color was used. I do remember that the amount used was extremely small.

I tint Sealcoat shellac with Transtint dyes a lot, and even WB topcoats sometimes, too. Rather than trying to tint TC's Amber Utraseal why not start with the Sealcoat, which is very pale, and add Transtint to it. It often takes at least two different dyes to get the color I want, but I can match almost any color that way. If you just have to use the Target Amber Ultraseal, and it's coming out too red (ruby) then add some green to it. That will shift it towards brown.

John

Looking further at TC's website I see EM-1000 which is clear and specifically made for tinting. If you don't want to use Sealcoat, I would use EM-1000 as your base.

John
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 06-17-2016 at 8:22 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I have ultra seal -- going to EM-1000 would mean purchasing more product. I've put a call into Jeff -- I'll see if he responds. If so, I'll post the result here.

Mike

Blog Entries
    No luck with calling Jeff Weiss. I left a voicemail and no call back. I've also tried calling him several times but he has not been there when I called.

So, I've moved on for my current project. If anyone has a recipe for Garnett Ultraseal, please post it up as I may like to try it on another project.

Mike

You can always add TransTint dye to get any color you want or need.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.