Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SCM 520 Nova or Felder AD951?

Rick, one thing with Martin is you only cry once.

Albert, If you want the ultimate in a J/P look at Hofmann.
    http://www.hofmann-maschinen.de/en/p...os-highlights/
    These are handcrafted solid cast iron machines with the unique feature of not having to move the tables between jointer and planing. The design of the dust collection port is very good on these also. The fence works as easy as Martins for one handed movement.
    Panhans has a similar design in sheet steel construction for less money. but will have more vibration because of the steel construction.

I doubt these are available in NZ but possibly Aus

Hi - you know the problem with opinions - everyone has one :-)

Just my thoughts on the cutterhead - I also live in a residential area so (avoiding) noise is important to me. I originally had a Robland JP with knives and upgraded to a Felder with a spiral cutterhead. It made a huge difference to the noise levels but I tend to work with harder woods (Eucalypts) so that may or may not be a factor for you. The finish was better as well so that meant a little less sanding.

I have Minimax and Felder/Format4 machines and both brands are good. The problem comparing models is that they are all made to differing price points. The decision making process depends on how you prioritise your selection criteria. If you just do it informally, it is hard to decide. A formal approach involves listing the criteria and applying a weighting to them to arrive at your final decision. Good luck there :-)

Just a comment on one of your original statements:
    >As part of this upgrading exercise, in the near future I will be upgrading my combination machine from Robland to either SCM or Felder Saw/Spindle moulder.

I would suggest getting a standalone shaper (spindle moulder) - not a combo. Having the ability to dial in height, tilt and most importantly - fence settings - is critical to a stress-free and productive use of the shaper. Having to repeat operations when a part breaks/goes missing makes it very easy when you can just dial in the settings (or even save the operations as a program). Combos usually have the height settings but not the ability to set the fence (repeatably). Anyone who has set up lock miters will know that pain :-(

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Rick, spill the beans, curious minds need to know. What machines did you buy?
    I ordered an MM-24 bandsaw and ended up ordering a T-60C slider.

The T-60C has a hand wheel adjustment for the rip fence on the operator side, and it will accept a dado blade. 7.5hp PH-3 with a 2 axis scoring unit.

I compared the Felder 940, SCM Nova 400, SCM Class and the T-60C .. The T-60C is the entry level Martin, but its still 3200 lbs and loaded with features. It takes a 16" blade, 7.5hp Motor etc.

An entry level Martin isn't really all that entry level. It still has electronic rise - fall - tilt and a digital control panel, memory settings, digital displays and all that Jazz. It also will accept a dado blade which the SCM wouldn't ..

The MM-24 is 4.8 hp .. I have an older 24" SCM bandsaw which I'm turning into a dedicated re-saw machine, the new saw will be the general purpose saw.

The MM-24 is sitting at the local dealer, I will get it next week.
    Last edited by Rick Fisher; 06-19-2016 at 1:52 AM.

Those are great machines Rick, congrat's!
    All these going to the basement (new) shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post

These are handcrafted solid cast iron machines with the unique feature of not having to move the tables between jointer and planing.
    Good god, the Hofmann j/p is a beautiful machine. Alas, there isn't a NA distributor for the Hofmann machine (my wife says thank goodness).
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 06-19-2016 at 1:16 PM. Reason: syntax

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Those are great machines Rick, congrat's!
    All these going to the basement (new) shop?
    No... no machines in the basement, its just for storage ..

New shop is main floor with a basement. The basement is all wiring, ducting and pipe for air, plus storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post

These are handcrafted solid cast iron machines with the unique feature of not having to move the tables between jointer and planing. The design of the dust collection port is very good on these also. The fence works as easy as Martins for one handed movement.
    Panhans has a similar design in sheet steel construction for less money. but will have more vibration because of the steel construction.

I doubt these are available in NZ but possibly Aus
    Thanks Joe for the info, I have sent an email to Hofmann exploring the possibility of buying one from Germany/Europe and have it sent over here.

Even if there is a distributor in AUS, I probably wont buy from Australia, the freight cost from Australia to NZ is double the cost of Europe to New Zealand. Funny that.

I think it will come down to Format Dual 51 vs L'Invincibile.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hicks View Post
    Hi - you know the problem with opinions - everyone has one :-)

I would suggest getting a standalone shaper (spindle moulder) - not a combo. Having the ability to dial in height, tilt and most importantly - fence settings - is critical to a stress-free and productive use of the shaper. Having to repeat operations when a part breaks/goes missing makes it very easy when you can just dial in the settings (or even save the operations as a program). Combos usually have the height settings but not the ability to set the fence (repeatably). Anyone who has set up lock miters will know that pain :-(

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers,
    Nick
    Thanks Nick

Yes I have this long setting up time with the Spindle moulder on the current combo, half of the time its guess work and the other half with a trial stock to ensure I got the right removal.

Space is a premium. I dont have a lot of space. Although the stand alone shaper is a good suggestion, but I havnt thought that far, at the moment only looking at upgrading current combo to a bigger J/P combo.
    Last edited by Albert Lee; 06-19-2016 at 5:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
    Space is a premium. I dont have a lot of space.
    If one is going to buy premium equipment then maybe a new shed/shop is in order. :-)

When I had bought too much gear to fit into the garage, I had to have a shed built. It amounted to less than the cost of one of machines anyway and it gave me so much more in terms of layout options. What frustrated me mostly was using a combo machine and having to switch back and forth and never being able to properly match the parts. The only dual function machine I have now is the jointer/planer.

I effectively gave up on the combo's shaper/spindle moulder due to my inability to set it up correctly. With my standalone shaper, I can now dial in settings to an accuracy of 0.1mm (4 thou) and when doing some drawers yesterday, even being 0.1mm off left a ridge I could feel. This may be just me but I like tight joints - now I can change cutters and be right-on when I go to use them. It's hard to describe in words the satisfaction that gives. Instead of using dominos or butt joins and screws, you have more options. Sorry for the rant.

Cheers
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
    ...Yes I have this long setting up time with the Spindle moulder on the current combo, half of the time its guess work and the other half with a trial stock to ensure I got the right removal.
    Albert, what combination machine do you have right now?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Albert, what combination machine do you have right now?

Erik
    Erik, I have a Robland NX410 Pro, full size panel saw with 16" Tersa thicknesser. it has treated me well in the past 3 years, I bought it new for $12k USD, a CU410 Elite fully optioned is roughly $24k USD 3 years ago in Auckland, back then I wasnt sure if spending $24k USD on a machine is justified for a hobby-business, it all started with a customer asked if I was able to make her a piece of furniture, I did my market research and so far, it proved to be a good seller.

I have been looking at saw/spindle for future upgrade, it makes sense to have them individual.

SCM offer TL version and/or the TL-Pro10 version on the spindle moulder, any comment on these optioned accesories? I was looking at the Ti145 electronic version, is the electronic version spindle moulder on the SCM reliable enough or just gimmicks? I mostly do tenons on the spindle moulder, will I be better off with a less complicated Ti105 with carriage?

Albert

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hicks View Post
    If one is going to buy premium equipment then maybe a new shed/shop is in order. :-)

When I had bought too much gear to fit into the garage, I had to have a shed built. It amounted to less than the cost of one of machines anyway and it gave me so much more in terms of layout options. What frustrated me mostly was using a combo machine and having to switch back and forth and never being able to properly match the parts. The only dual function machine I have now is the jointer/planer.

I effectively gave up on the combo's shaper/spindle moulder due to my inability to set it up correctly. With my standalone shaper, I can now dial in settings to an accuracy of 0.1mm (4 thou) and when doing some drawers yesterday, even being 0.1mm off left a ridge I could feel. This may be just me but I like tight joints - now I can change cutters and be right-on when I go to use them. It's hard to describe in words the satisfaction that gives. Instead of using dominos or butt joins and screws, you have more options. Sorry for the rant.

Cheers
    Nick
    Hi Nick, if extending my workshop is that easy I would have done it long ago, we have very strict rules here about your building envelope in the suburban area, and unfortunately thats where I am.

It will be easier for me to sell the house and buy another house with a dedicated workshop/barn.