Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bowed board

bowed board

i needed a pair of 1x4 pine boards 7 feet long. True 1x4's not 3/4 x3 1/2. I went to a big box store and selected a straight, kiln dried 2x12 with tight vertical growth rings and ripped two boards from the edges and planed down to 1". They looked great for one day before they bowed about a half inch. Suggestions please.

Did you plane from both sides equally? Planing more from one side than the other can allow internal tension to create a bow. Cutting a wide board down can also result in some movement. Also, when it comes to the big box stores, even kiln dried wood can have a significant amount of moisture in it.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Blog Entries
    I made a workbench base out of kiln dried construction limber from the BORG. It continued to move even after months of acclimating in the shop and assembly. Does it have to be pine? Poplar from a reliable lumber yard was what I used on the next bench and it was great to work with.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Luna View Post
    Did you plane from both sides equally? Planing more from one side than the other can allow internal tension to create a bow. Cutting a wide board down can also result in some movement. Also, when it comes to the big box stores, even kiln dried wood can have a significant amount of moisture in it.

I planed both sides about equally but stress appears to be the problem. I hate to think about the cost of finding these boards. They will be more expensive than teak.
    thanks

Thanks, I do need pine to match a piece. This is a bear.

Blog Entries
    Generally speaking, construction lumber is kiln dried only to about 12% moisture. That is not sufficient for stability. If you want to try again, take the lumber home and stack it with weights so it can't move and wait a month or two before doing anything. Then slowly (several days or even a week between sessions, remove only a small amount of material from each face until you reach your finish size. Keep the material weighted down between sessions.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

More likely it's around 20% MC. Regardless, you have to let the board sit in your shop for weeks/months before resawing or it will banana chip. A better solution is to go to or call a real lumber supplier and buy true KD 5/4 or 6/4 rough sawn pine and plane it down to whatever you need.

John

Charlie,

Would you mind telling us what project these are being used for? Bow can be worked around, depending on the circumstance.

Robby

I think BORG sells 5/4 stock in 5" or 6" (nominal) width in. It's sold in the pine board section. I'd buy those instead. I've had very good luck with the pine boards from HD. Select from a bundle that's had the plastic zip strap removed, so the pieces have had time to release tension and reveal their true colors.

I don't trust construction lumber from anywhere around me. The few lumber yards I've been to around here don't take greater pains to protect their stock, and frankly they're roll-yr-eyes snobs who hate the fact that I only need a couple pieces and will drive it in my sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    , and frankly they're roll-yr-eyes snobs .
    Roll-yr-eyes, Hilarious
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Like Lee and John mentioned, it is moisture that is most likely the root cause of your problem. Tension is pretty apparent immediately while ripping. Uneven moisture loss as the board loses moisture to reach equilibrium causes movement after milling where the board was pretty straight and flat initially. If the wood is laid flat on one face, it will tend to bow up at the ends/edges as that face loses moisture and shrinks. If you flip it over, it may come back to flat and even bow in the other direction.
    JR

An Antique dealer taught me an old trick- lay the board in the grass in the sun convex side down and keep an eye on it for an hour or two. He used this method for loose shelves and table leaves with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    More likely it's around 20% MC. Regardless, you have to let the board sit in your shop for weeks/months before resawing or it will banana chip. A better solution is to go to or call a real lumber supplier and buy true KD 5/4 or 6/4 rough sawn pine and plane it down to whatever you need.

John
    Agreed! Construction lumber around here is never 12% more like soaking wet...

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Tacheny View Post
    Charlie,

Would you mind telling us what project these are being used for? Bow can be worked around, depending on the circumstance.

Robby

I am restoring an antique screen door, specifically replacing the rails(1x4x84) actual size. I need vertical grain for stability and visual.

It all about moisture and the fact its construction grade lumber. You might try cutting your material to width take a couple passes, and let it dry for a week.
    That can be tough this time of year if the humidity is high.

If you don't want to mess around with it, then go to a hardwood dealer and see what they have.

You might also consider building up the board from 1X material using a non flexible glue like epoxy.

If you face glue the boards and keep them clamped flat, it should work.