Thread: Going to Spokane to take a class

Going to Spokane to take a class

I live in NW Montana and no where around here does classes, so I am going to Spokane to take a class at Woodcraft. The class has a prereq of a beginning class but the instructor called me today and said I could join in. I am excited. Been playing a little most days with the lathe, but could really use some help to get going.

Good for you. You will get a lot of some hands on instruction. My only warning is that it is very additive and once you start you will never stop. Take me as an example, I will be 70 this November and lost my right leg last year and I still can't stay away from the darn thing. In fact I just bought my 4th lathe. Worked my way up to the one I have now (Laguna 1836). The costs of the lathe is just a small part of the total cost. Good luck and let us know now you made out.

Michael - I live in Spokane - when is your class, and how much time will you have when here? I would be happy to get together with you if you have the time. Will PM with contact info. Which class are you signed up for?

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 06-16-2016 at 11:45 AM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I would also be available to work with you starting in August. Republic Wa.
    C&C WELCOME

Michael, I will be in Missoula for three weeks starting about mid July. I would love to visit your shop and we might even turn something?
    Pete
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Thanks for all the offers! Could be a lot of fun and learning for me.
    20160618_172257_resized.jpg This is the bowl I made at the class. I ended up being the only student and the instructor still held it for me. Thanks to Pat Hickey. Had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cole View Post
    Thanks for all the offers! Could be a lot of fun and learning for me.
    20160618_172257_resized.jpg This is the bowl I made at the class. I ended up being the only student and the instructor still held it for me. Thanks to Pat Hickey. Had a great time.
    Totally cool, Michael. Isn't it fun? I love the memory of a workshop taken with Bonnie Klein (very basic, beginner's stuff) and how "high" I was afterward. Hope you're able to spend time with the people who offered!