Thread: AAW woodturning video site

AAW woodturning video site

At the AAW symposium last week, AAW announced a new website of woodturning videos that is open to all woodturners. This site contains videos that have been screened for quality and safety by AAW that can be quickly and easily searched by keywords to find a list of videos that meet a specific topic. You can visit the site at www.aawvideosource.org. There is also a tutorial on tips for using the site at www.youtu.be/sfe23jNpBvk. If you have videos that you would like to suggest for addition to the site, click on the "Submit a Video" button on the navigation bar and send your suggestion to the e-mail address shown on that page.
    Way south of most everybody...

Got the link to the tutorial video wrong. It is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfe23jNpBvk.

Feedback?

This looks like it might be helpful. I hope vetting by the AAW will help weed out most of the videos with horrible technique and safety issues.

I didn't go through it completely yet. If not included, they might consider adding to the "Submit a Video" page a do/don't checklist of things that might either enhance or kill a video, perhaps suggestions and guidelines for "How to Make a Good Woodturning Video". Things like using eye protection, lighting, audio, camera angles.

Those videos selected might be encouraged to advertise that and include a link to the AAW list in their description section.

To whom does one send feedback on this web effort? At first glance I see some things I think could be improved (from the perspective of a user and former user interface designer) and one apparent omission.

JKJ

John,
    Thanks for the great feedback. Yes, there are a lot of things left to do, so an updated version is planned after we get feedback. I know AAW is committed to maintaining and updating this site for the very reasons you mention. The goal was to provide good videos that users would want to see and be able to find them with just a couple of mouse clicks.

Feedback can be sent to info@aawvideosource.org where it will be reviewed.

This was something that I emphasised during some aaw focus group meetings. Glad to see it become real!