Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Miniature Tools - Have you tried them?

Veritas Miniature Tools - Have you tried them?

I haven't. I guess initially I thought of them as nic-nacs, curiousities or items to put on somebody's desk. That sort of thing. But LV continues to bring out more and more of them, which makes me wonder if LV really does intend peoople to use them as tools (in addition to those who will buy them as "toys").

Have you tried them on actual projects? What do you think of them - are they real tools, or are they just functional toys that aren't actually very useful. (I mean, the fidelity is phenomenal, even using PMV11 steel. So they could be either tool or very fancy tool.)

Fred

I have most of them and have tried all of the ones I have. The router plane, spokeshave and shoulder plane have turned out to be really useful. I don't always have dinky little projects, but when I do, they get used. In particular, the shoulder and router planes have been invaluable.

The bling and gizmosity factors are high, but it's really nice that they can be useful, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Haugen View Post
    I have most of them and have tried all of the ones I have. The router plane, spokeshave and shoulder plane have turned out to be really useful. I don't always have dinky little projects, but when I do, they get used. In particular, the shoulder and router planes have been invaluable.

The bling and gizmosity factors are high, but it's really nice that they can be useful, too.
    That's the sort of feedback I was looking for Bruce. Thank you. It'll be interesting to see if anyone else has experience with them.

I have the router plane. I have had trouble getting the iron to stay put. On mine it will turn in the groove...I prefer the V groove like Stanley planes to the flat square when it comes to snugging the iron up.

I suppose there will be uses for it, but I haven't found them yet. Perhaps flattening broad pockets for inlay?

I got it as a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Canaday View Post
    I have the router plane. I have had trouble getting the iron to stay put. On mine it will turn in the groove...I prefer the V groove like Stanley planes to the flat square when it comes to snugging the iron up.

I suppose there will be uses for it, but I haven't found them yet. Perhaps flattening broad pockets for inlay?

I got it as a gift.
    Glen, I think that you are confusing the Miniature for the Small. The Miniature router plane has a square shafted blade. It cannot twist. To modify the Small (which has the round shafted blade) to prevent it rotating, go here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...uterPlane.html

With regard the miniatures, I have some of them and use the router plane and scraper plane. I have used the shoulder plane, but the mouth is too wide for a precision
    setup.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have a few of the minis. I've used the shoulder plane and the router. Haven't found a use for a few of the others. Will likely post them in the SS when I get to that on my list

Thanks guys!

Have a good Holiday!
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Glen, I think that you are confusing the Miniature for the Small. The Miniature router plane has a square shafted blade. It cannot twist. To modify the Small (which has the round shafted blade) to prevent it rotating, go here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...uterPlane.html

With regard the miniatures, I have some of them and use the router plane and scraper plane. I have used the shoulder plane, but the mouth is too wide for a precision
    setup.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Nope. I mean the miniature, the one that is about an inch and a half on the long axis. The Stanley-style have the V groove, which I like. The square shaft moves on my miniature because the collar can't hold it in place all that well. At least on mine, that is. I have had the collar slip and allow the iron to actually twist out of the channel. By design it should not be able to move like that because it's square, you are correct.

I had an issue with another tool thay prompted me to leave a pretty disgusted review elsewhere on the interweb, but this is nowhere near that bad

This thread prompted me to take it out of its drawer and open the tiny box again and give it another go. In all, it is not bad. I just have to be a little more ginger with it than I do my full-size Millers Falls owing to the loosening collar and the fact that it is so small!

You know, one use for it could be to clean out tiny hinge mortises. I can definitely see that.

Hi Glen

You may have a rogue example, or my miniature router plane may be the exception. Still, I used it very successfully to begin a through mortice/groove in the stretcher for a chair ...

I don't do this too often, but the miniature router plane - as with the other miniatures - does work.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Yeah, it does. It is more likely that I have the odd example.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Canaday View Post
    Yeah, it does. It is more likely that I have the odd example.
    Or different technique... Derek is very experienced and may not subject the blade to much twisting load.

I have used them. So far the shoulder and the router plane has a use to it. The block plane and the spokeshave no luck on it's functionality yet.

Blog Entries
    I have not used any of the Veritas miniature tools. The mini-router plane is on my wish list.

Some miniature tools are made for display. There are other miniature tools made to work:

Three Shaves.jpgSmall Spokeshave in Use.jpg

I picked this one up at a local junk sale. Do not recall exactly where.

It is great at getting into tight spaces the other shaves can't.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    (stuff snipped). Some miniature tools are made for display. There are other miniature tools made to work:

Three Shaves.jpgSmall Spokeshave in Use.jpg

I picked this one up at a local junk sale. Do not recall exactly where.

It is great at getting into tight spaces the other shaves can't.

jtk
    I don't collect tools with the exception of folding wooden rulers and these Veritas miniatures. I didn't want the miniatures because of their functionality, but I'm delighted that they work, some of them pretty well.

I know the thread is 3 years old but I'm following up..... I bought the miniature block plane on cyber monday. After it arrived, I played atound with it. Man, it is small. But it's functional and I think I can use it in tight places and small projects. It cut a nice bevel on pine, right out of the box.

Sure it's a toy. But I needed something small, and besides - I wanted it! (I have and use a #1 too.)

All the best.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”