Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh Shoot!

Blog Entries

Oh Shoot!

My old shooting board has been pretty trusty over the years.

Added note: The blue tape was added to adjust the angle when there was a little bit of movement from weather or what ever else may have been the cause.

Old Shooting Board.jpg

Lately I decided I wanted to rework it into an ambidextrous shooting board. I also wanted to make the platform lower to get more of the blade into action. The old platform was a piece of 3/4" thick material. The new platform is just a hair under 1/2" in thickness.

The old shooting board was disassembled. It was easy since nothing was glued. I decided to make a new 'hook' out of a piece of scrap left over from making a tile topped table recently. The piece was ripped so it was shallow enough to fit in either of my vises.

New 'Hook'.jpg

The fence was made from a piece of the old hook. If you want to avoid unwanted holes in your bench either use plenty of scrap under your work or check the depth of your drill:

Check Drill Depth.jpg

A square is also used here to make sure everything is square.

The fence was made to be a bit proud of the platform and was chamfered on the back side.

Next a piece of scrap is tried and checked while trimming the fence:

Fence Trimming.jpg

This is done on both sides.

A wedge at about 17º was cut to the same height as the fence to chamfer the bottom of some legs for another tile topped table:

Using a Wedge.jpg It finally loaded!

The wedge is held in place with tape so it can be moved out of the way.

This was used to chamfer around the bottom of the leg. I count the strokes to keep it even. Then the wedge is flipped up so the bottom can be shot square:

Wedge Hinged Up.jpg

The top of the leg is marked for center from the corners and the sides and then worked using the wedge to make a pyramid top:

Pyramid Top Finished.jpg

Just for fun the leg was stood up on the table and checked with a square:

Stand Up.jpg

Sure to get a few more years out of this one.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 06-17-2016 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added image, reformed indefinite article, spelling
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Great idea with the wedge, I will remember this. Thanks.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Very nicely done Jim.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the kind words.

I want to sharpen my blade today to get a bit smoother cut on the top.

Hilton, I have also done this with a 45º wedge for shooting miters. It can also work with the wedge standing up for thin stock.

Just found an old image showing how another board of mine was set up with a 45º wedge to shoot miters.

Miter Shooting.jpg

A little finessing may be needed to get air tight miters. Things like a little lifting or moving in and out from the wedge.

I hope to post more on this as time allows.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 06-17-2016 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added image and explanation
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I love seeing variations on this important tool.

And hopefully not to derail this thread, but the "Elbows" thread talked about tendonitis issues from normal planing. What really aggravates my "golfer's elbow" (i.e. tendonitis on the inside of the elbow) is a prolonged shooting session. I think the constant small impacts and the not-so-ergonomic arrangement of the plane on the shooting board are what cause this. I've often wondered if designs of shooting boards that are perpendicular to the front of the bench are better in this regard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stone View Post
    I love seeing variations on this important tool.

And hopefully not to derail this thread, but the "Elbows" thread talked about tendonitis issues from normal planing. What really aggravates my "golfer's elbow" (i.e. tendonitis on the inside of the elbow) is a prolonged shooting session. I think the constant small impacts and the not-so-ergonomic arrangement of the plane on the shooting board are what cause this. I've often wondered if designs of shooting boards that are perpendicular to the front of the bench are better in this regard.
    The changing ergonomics might help. Sometimes I shoot pieces that are a bit to long to hold vertically during the task.

Having a 'tender' shoulder propelled me to buy a Low Angle Jack plane for shooting. I know some like to hog off big slices when planing. I find there is less wear and tear on my body by taking a lighter approach.

The other way I work around the problem is to change tasks when possible. My main reason for making an ambidextrous shooting board was to use my right shoulder less for this task. I also lean into the work while planing to add my body weight to the work at hand.

Hopefully the thread will not go off the rails. Hopefully others will be able to add insights and leave out any slights.

jtk

Blog Entries

Sharpness Helps

Spent a little time sharpening the blade on my LA BU Jack.

Makes the top of the leg look a little better:

Pyramid with Sharp Blade.jpg

This is the same piece as pictured in the original.

Sharpness can fix a lot of things.

Looking close at the image I can see I need to tune it just a bit more.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 06-17-2016 at 3:28 PM. Reason: Looking close

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The changing ergonomics might help. Sometimes I shoot pieces that are a bit to long to hold vertically during the task.

Having a 'tender' shoulder propelled me to buy a Low Angle Jack plane for shooting. I know some like to hog off big slices when planing. I find there is less wear and tear on my body by taking a lighter approach.

The other way I work around the problem is to change tasks when possible. My main reason for making an ambidextrous shooting board was to use my right shoulder less for this task. I also lean into the work while planing to add my body weight to the work at hand.

jtk
    By 'perpendicular' I meant still lying on the top of the bench, but rotated 90 degrees, so the planing action is away from the body rather than side to side.

But now that I pay closer attention, I see that you stand on the end of the bench, so this is exactly what you are doing. Hmm.

Awesome pyramids! The proof is in the pudding.

Jim,

Great job, very interesting, and as is often the case with your descriptions with photos, I definitely learned some things.

Thanks!

Stew

Blog Entries
    My truck has had side boards since I have owned it. When installed they were given a coat of BLO. The BLO is all that has been between them and the weather for about 8 years. I noticed one of the uprights was starting to get bad so I am working on some replacements. This time I will use a sealing stain to see if they last more than 8 years if the truck lasts that long.

I wanted to chamfer the ends using my recently reworked shooting board. Since the uprights are 2x3s something had to be done so the plane could reach the full edge of the long side.

The wedge used for the 2x2 was cut corner to corner so the other piece was used to make a wedge to hold the long face of the 2x3 horizontal. My quick taping method didn't work well with this. The idea of holding the wedge in place with a pin (dowel) had occurred to me. It was given a try:

Shooting Board Wedges.jpg

The horizontal shooting wedge:

Horizontal Wedge.jpg

The Vertical wedge:

Vertical Face Wedge.jpg

Mark the center of the shooting board to install the pin if you are make an ambidextrous board.

To remove the wedges it may be necessary to carefully drive a wedge underneath to lift it up.

jtk

Hi Jim,

I had problems in the past trying to shoot with a wedge like yours. It was constantly moving. I'm going to remember your dowel trick.

Thanks for input,
    Normand

Jim, an ambidextrous board is a good thing. Here are some photos of my setup. I like how you set up to use a wedge.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Howdy Jim,

I like your big donkey ear. I am thinking of making something like that for my board. It can be a handy attachment when working with molding or any other mitered pieces.

jtk

I'll copy that, and thank you every time I use it.

Excellent post and Pics!! Thanks Jim for showing us your ways, ideas....VERY Well done!!!!!Thanks
    Jerry