Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got the lathe and some turning tools. What else?

Check for a used Baldor in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Straw View Post
    ...he always makes a point of how it is a fixture, not a jig. I get confused trying to sort it out. Personally, I've long thought that people use the word "jig" because it's only 3 letters and easier to say than "fixture."
    Of course. He too retains the divine right of every 'merican to state his opinion publicly and with authority, confused or otherwise.

I always thought a "fixture" was the old guy who had been there forever and would probably never retire. I avoided that label by graciously retiring (long time ago) at age 56. :-) Now you'll have to excuse me, my Lovely Bride has just put a warm peach/blueberry pie on a rotatable fixture stationary jig platter stand thingy and I'm on a quest to find an appropriate cutting tool. I decree it an emergency. Blueberry time is just once a year here at the Farm and it is my duty to embrace it.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    Check for a used Baldor in your area.
    A used Baldor is actually my first choice but being in a rural area they are few and far between. Shipping is an option but that too is expensive for a heavy grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Thanks Aaron but I already purchased the Wolverine setup and Varigrind. My first inclination was to use the Baldor 6" grinder that I already have. But after others have strongly recommended an 8" grinder instead I decided to go in that direction. I would like to purchase another Baldor but they are prohibitively expensive based on my level of use at this time. The Rikon grinder sounded like a good idea at a sale price of $99 but seemed less so at the regular price of $139. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to consider instead the Jet model. It's yet more expensive but looks better made, sort of a step toward the Baldor. Is there a usual time when these grinders go on sale?
    Sorry. I have no idea on sales or on how the Jet compares to the Rikon. I certainly see your point on the price, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to consider instead the Jet model. It's yet more expensive but looks better made, sort of a step toward the Baldor.
    I don't have a Jet but my "collection" of 5 grinders does include the 1/2 Hp Rikon. It is ok but the construction is a bit cheap. I and others have noticed the irregular casting requiring some grinding or other effort for it to sit flat. I think the 1/2 Hp is underpowered compared to the no-name 3/4 Hp grinder next to it, the one Woodcraft used to sell for about $100. The Rikon is slower to start up and some people have noted that two heavy steel CBN wheels are almost too much for it.

We also have one at a shop for teaching children and with conventional wheels it spins ok, but horribly out of balance with the Aluminium Oxide wheels that came on it, even after truing. It shakes the whole table. The wheels wobble from side to side and are evidently not entirely uniform as well. When I use standard wheels I use the Norton 3x along with the Oneway balancer - runs so smooth. CBN wheels should be smooth from the start, assuming the seat and nut are true.

Used Baldor grinders around here are usually very high, even with 3-phase motors. With a VFD one would make a wonderful variable speed grinder.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Blueberry time is just once a year here at the Farm and it is my duty to embrace it.

JKJ
    Our blueberries are just ripening now. If we can get to them before the birds strip the bushes, I'll send you some!

Re: CBN wheels, and running true

As far as a particular grinder having enough oomph to spin CBN wheels, remember -- there are aluminum CBNs that are much lighter but (I've been told by those who use them) just as good. Ken Rizza sells them, and also has 2-part washer sets that solve run-out problems created by the grinder nuts not being square. I got my wheel last week, and am pretty much in 7th Heaven. They cost much less than the steel wheels also. If you can afford a pair, go for it! at $249 + shipping, it's a good deal.

Wood, and then some more wood.