Thread: DIY Laser Cutting Tables

DIY Laser Cutting Tables

I was reading A&E magazine this month and came across this DIY laser table made of metal wire by Vladimir Sturlev. Seems pretty ingenious. Looks like it would would have less flashing then the typical grid based cutting tables since the string is so thin and spaced 1/2" apart. I wonder how sturdy it is though? Has anyone tried making a metal string based or other cutting table which has less flashing then the standard grid tables?

Directions and more photos: http://www.instructables.com/id/Lase...etter-Version/

grid1.jpggrid2.jpggrid3.jpg
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 06-18-2016 at 11:56 AM.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

I've been tempted to buy a couple of these--

coolrack1.jpgcoolrack2.jpg

They're both 17" x 12", and stainless- the first one with the wider grid is only $15 on ebay, the second one is $20.

buy a few, then head down to HF and pick up one of their $7 air cutters and you can custom fit them to most any machine!

2 would be great for my 24x24" LS900...

(one reason I haven't bought them yet is the Triumph does most of my cutting and it has a steel honeycomb table)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I made a pin table by drilling a grid of 1/8 holes with my cnc in a piece of white dibond mounted to some ply wood. then I stuck short pop rivets in the holes

I bought a 24"x24" aluminum honeycomb on eBay with 1/2" cells, and 1/2" thickness. I cut it in half carefully with strong scissors and placed it into the original Epilog vector grid frame. It fit perfectly, has been great, with much less flashing.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I use a similar grid to what joe describes and also the same thing made out of acrylic. They are actually light grids which I bought in wholesale quantities, cut them to size, and sold to laser owners. I sold the business a few years back and can't locate the suppliers I used. (do not use the styrene grids which are easily found at the borgs.)

If your machine exhausts from the back as my old ULS and my current Trotec do, then the space between the grid and the table is critical to clean engraving. A space of at least one inch allows the contaminated smoke and dust to be exhausted easily. I also prefer the 1/2" grid to the smaller 1/4" honeycomb for the same reason. The smoke and contaminants are not as efficiently evacuated on the 1/4" grid.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Geez, I need to get out more! Didn't know those grids were that readily available, and cheap too!

My LS900 has a pretty unique smoke evac setup. The exhaust is at the back, with a blast gate. Note the short vertical tube, and the hole in the table...
    DSC05090.jpg

In normal use the gate is open and exhaust is pulled straight back.
    But close the blast gate, and that tube and the hole in the table come into play.
    With the blast gate almost closed, you can see the hole in the gate that will be directly
    under the tube...
    DSC05089.jpg

There's a hose that connects to this tube, the other end of which
    ends up right behind the laser lens about 1/4", and about 1/4" from what you're cutting.
    There's also a hose under the table that connects from the exhaust plenum to the
    hole in the table...
    DSC05092.jpg

So when you're cutting, all smoke is pulled right from the lens and below whatever cutting
    grid you're using. The blast gate never fully closes so any other smoke gets pulled back
    and out too...

I rarely do any cutting, and I've never had a metal cutting grid so I've never used the
    upper hose! I have used a plastic lighting grid a few times, and with the gate shut it really
    does pull smoke well from the bottom. Shutting the gate also creates enough vacuum on
    the table to hold material down.

I think I'll order up one of those aluminum grids on ebay, thanks Joe!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle