Thread: opinions on Grizzly 5912z shaper...

opinions on Grizzly 5912z shaper...

I am interested in what users of this machine think of its performance and overall value. Are the four speeds adequate ? Is 3600 rpm slow enough for the slowest speed ? I am looking for a shaper for more production minded millwork and doing some rail and stile doors, I want a one and a quarter inch spindle. I currently have a 3hp steel city shaper that gets used mostly with router bits. Now I realize that tooling is going to cost more than the machine. Would I be better off to buy 1 1/4 cutters once, instead of starting with 3/4 and having to replace them later ? Any advice is welcome. thanks.

Got ours still in cosmo,and on pallet for 1k$.

Think of them as a "kit".We run a 4 wheel pwerfeeder,added C.I. extensions for length and have the parts for an adj width rail but laziness see's it uninstalled.The factory fence,ain't.So we're sporting a custom from our machine shop.DC hood was custom rolled here as well.

Ours has paid for itself a few dz times.With upgrades it's a pleasure to use.

Thanks, Brian. What are the main uses of this machine for you ?

You're better off to buy one cry once with tooling. Insert heads are the most costly up front, but the cheapest in the long run.
    Same with the shaper too, buy once, cry once.
    I wouldn't buy ¾" bore stuff. Get 1¼" as it's likely to be the standard for a long time.
    3600 is plenty slow for just about anything. A 5" three wing head you'll likely want to be about 6,000 rpm. I've got a panel raiser that I'm running at 4500 rpm, and while it leaves an amazing cut, it sounds eerie. I tried running it slower, but the cut quality wasn't quite as good. I think that head is about 7½" in diameter and a four wing. Chances are by the time you're swinging a cutter big enough to justify 3600 rpm, you're going to be hammering that grizzly to death. Depends what you're doing though. All day long with big materia removal, look for another shaper. For the ocasional run, it's probably fine though.

Martin thanks for the advise. What other shapers would you look at ? Also is a tilting spindle or sliding table worth considering ? My use will probally be more occasional than "all day" every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Martin thanks for the advise. What other shapers would you look at ? Also is a tilting spindle or sliding table worth considering ? My use will probally be more occasional than "all day" every day.
    I always say look for good used stuff. I once picked up a SAC ts120 for $1200. It was a little rough looking, but it works like a champ, and it's bullet proof. It'd be more than $10k to get a shaper of that quality new. There's tons of deals out there to be had.

I personally don't have a use for a tilting shaper, but I don't have one either. It'd be nice for some things, but I just don't have an application so I haven't pursued one.

Sliding tables are useful. I wish I had a couple for coping door rails instead of using a cope clamp that rides in the miter slot.

That machine has fairly limited capacity. For the same $$ and maybe a vfd you can find a heavier better built used machine. In Canada the Wadkin BEL shows up. Invicta sliding table will be in that price range. A Felder sliding table shaper will be in the 4K range but all will give you more capacity. The Grizzly limits cutter size to < 6". Larger diameter cutters with 1.25 or 30mm spindles are the way to go. Dave

I agree with Dave.. Shapers don't hold a good resale value IMO .. I see Felder 700 shapers with 7.5hp motors and Power feeders for sale for $4- $6K Canadian..

All I have is a lil 3hp Asian Shaper but if the day comes I decide to upgrade, I will buy a used SCM T-130 or Felder for pennies on the dollar.. If it has only 10% of its running life left, it will outlast my needs .. lol

I appreciate all the advice ,so far it is reinforcing what i was thinking about already. For what I want to do I probaly should not have bought the smaller shaper. That's
    why I posted here,before I went further with tooling. Thanks for all the input. I do have a lager power feeder already from a deal with multiple machines so now I will watch for a good used shaper and invest in 1 1/4 inch bore tooling. How good of a idea is it to use T bushings to run 1 1/4 tooling on a one inch spindle ? Thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread,Mike.

I agree with the others here, used shapers are the way to go, way more bang for your buck.
    For example I picked up a used SCM T110 L'invincible with a 1hp feeder and sliding table attachment for $1000 in Edmonton. It has a 4.8hp 3ph motor and looks like it seen very little use. If you don't have three phase power in your shop as Dave mentioned look into a VFD.

I was looking at shapers a couple of months ago. I went with the Laguna Pro shaper. On sale it was the same price as the Grizzly. I think it has a nicer fence and features than the Grizzly. Just a thought.

I bought the 3hp Grizzly shaper and 1hp power feeder, and feel it is a great machine for the money. Bought a shaper cutter for raised panels, much better than using a router bit cutter, as it throws the chips up as the router cutter throws the chips down into the shaper cabinet. I have run flooring, and quite a few doors since I got this shaper, and far as I can tell, will do a lot more. For hobby use, it is hard to justify a machine built to run 16 hours a day. And in Kansas, those pro machines are few and far between.

If you're patient, you can buy a lot of shaper for $2500 on the secondary market. You might have to drive a bit, but so what.

There's always somebody who screwed up and they're losing everything, or had an accident and can't do the job, or their dad had it and be dropped, or an angry wife finding out he was doing the secretary, or or or.

Patience and looking in the right places you'll find a deal.