Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Yes, You Need a Jointer and a Jack

Blog Entries
    As for making see through shavings? Meh. A gossemer shaving is usually right at the LAST stroke of a job. If I were to set up a plane to do nothing but those type of shavings, I would be at a single board all day long, not very effective, speed wise.
    Usually one of my smoothers is set up with a very sharp blade to take very light shavings. The others are set up to take thicker shavings.

It is nice to have different planes of the same size in the middle of the pack set up for the different jobs the size plane is able to do.

If one can put a shine on a piece of wood with a #6, why follow with a 'smoother?'

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    That's why I have a Veritas bevel up smoother and a bevel up Jack. I have all of their irons for these planes.

Don't have the time to just stand around and change irons....much quicker just to set one plane down, and pick up another that IS set up to do the next job. Just set one down, or into the till, and grab the next one......quick and easy to do.