Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help File cutting to much

Kev,

There are a couple of problems with your shape. First, it isn't a single shape: as you already discovered, it has several overlapping copies of various segments. But the second and possibly more problematic issue is that most of the segments (objects) are not single arcs/lines but rather are closed (very narrow) paths. Looks like 17 closed paths that, without zooming in tight, appear to make the pill or racetrack shape, along with 12 very short line segments at the ends of the two horizontal "lines" (two at each end of the top line and four at each end of the bottom line). Furthermore, one of the closed (curved) objects is actually disjoint and covers 4 separate parts of the two arcs, one of those 4 parts is an open curve, and the object is CMYK where the other objects are RGB. Some of the objects have hairline outlines while other outlines are greater than hairline thickness. There are three overlapping horizontal objects across the top, but 7 across the bottom. There are 3 complete arcs on each side plus the one disjoint arc shape that overlaps both sides.

Presumably this mess is due to the way the object was drawn in the original program and then a lousy export and conversion into coreldraw. The combination of disjoint objects, open and closed paths, and degeneratively small segments makes it hard or maybe impossible to clean up with a couple of simple, quick clicks in coreldraw. It's simple but a little time consuming to delete the duplicate and excess objects, leaving only 4 essential objects (a top and bottom horizontal section, plus left and right arcs), combine, smart fill, select no fill, and ensure hairline outline for cutting.

I assume that the original object was created/exported as an outline, which might be part of the problem. Try creating and exporting as a filled, non-outlined object and see if that produces a single, clean, filled object in coreldraw that you can hairline outline and set to no fill.

What I do Glen, is set my nudge for 20" or so (whatever it takes to be well away from the main graphics), then click and move individual segments, as you stated. If a partial segment moves, I delete it- and repeat until I have the 4 good pieces I need. From there the simple outline tool works. From THERE, I copy and paste them over any others...

The problem is, for one, deleting all the bad holes later, and mostly, this particular job has about 6 different sizes of these, about 6 to 10 of each size on one batch layout...!

Normally I just 'select all text', move it all well away, then group and batch outline everything from the outside in. To do this on this job, I would be done in about 5 minutes...

Doing it the pick-n-move way takes nearly an hour!

So essentially what I have here is a rant with no solution (my apologies! ), other than maybe get the guy drawing these shapes to figure out a better way to do it! (and I'm no help as I've never used Autocad)...

Back to Bert, sir-- as I stated before, I believe you're having the same problem, as I know you're importing other people's work (typically)-- Your fix may be to try the pick-n-move method, to give yourself only ONE of everything to cut!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

So try the suggestion about having him create the same shape as a non-outlined, closed and filled object for you, and see if you can simply import, choose no fill, and set hairline outline.

If the customer is using AutoCAD Kev he needs to draw basic shapes like that using Lines and Arcs , NOT Splines...bezier curves are great is everybodies software uses the same means of reading them...that rarely happens.

Line/Arc followed by PEdit to turn those lines and arcs into a single joined polyline

Once he has made his shape if he uses "Overkill" that will remove any double entries like duplicates and extra segments
    You did what !

Kev did you see my post #15

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    What I do Glen, is set my nudge for 20" or so (whatever it takes to be well away from the main graphics), then click and move individual segments, as you stated. If a partial segment moves, I delete it- and repeat until I have the 4 good pieces I need. From there the simple outline tool works. From THERE, I copy and paste them over any others...

The problem is, for one, deleting all the bad holes later, and mostly, this particular job has about 6 different sizes of these, about 6 to 10 of each size on one batch layout...!

Normally I just 'select all text', move it all well away, then group and batch outline everything from the outside in. To do this on this job, I would be done in about 5 minutes...

Doing it the pick-n-move way takes nearly an hour!

So essentially what I have here is a rant with no solution (my apologies! ), other than maybe get the guy drawing these shapes to figure out a better way to do it! (and I'm no help as I've never used Autocad)...

Back to Bert, sir-- as I stated before, I believe you're having the same problem, as I know you're importing other people's work (typically)-- Your fix may be to try the pick-n-move method, to give yourself only ONE of everything to cut!
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

uuhh, no, not till now!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Joe do you mean ungroup, I did a ungroup then deleted and all disaperared I designed in corel the saved as dxf and imported to lasercut
    Yes, darned iPad self correct!

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green