Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendation wanted on Gas powered Leaf Blower

I have used a Husqvarna for 3 or 4 years now without problem.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-28...f-594fd2b14895
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I use Echo backpack blower. Works really well and dependable. I like Echo stuff.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I bought the 4 stroke Makita about 2 months ago, and really like it so far.
    Incredibly easy to start.

It replaced an Echo I got from Home Depot that I got tired of replacing the carburetor on.
    Gerry

JointCAM

I have a Stihl and it's great. For shredding leaves, I don't use the bag. I made a screened top for a 60 gallon rolling garbage. I connect the output of the blower to the screened top with a 4" dust collection hose.

Backpacks are actually easier to use IMHO--less weight you are carrying at the end of your arm. Getting it on might be hard though. When I kept it in the garage I used to set it on my truck tailgate for starting and could bend my knees and get it on pretty easy.

I have a bigger Husqvarna that came with the zero turn I had bought for the old place. I already had a Stihl but the Husky was slightly more powerful so I kept it and sold the Stihl. I'd recommend either, with the caveat that whatever you buy, buy it from a servicing dealer who will tune and set it up right.

I had an Echo handheld for several years and the backpacks were a big step up in power and comfort. My wrist used to really hurt after using the handheld for an hour or so. It was a good machine though.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 06-20-2016 at 11:12 PM.

If the property accomodates, I suggest take a look at an electric model. Be cautioned they are not much quieter than a gas powered, but plenty of power.

I had 2 Echo's neither one lasted more than 3 years. Maybe because I didn't use them enough.

Most of the lawn service guys I know use Stihl products.

Blog Entries
    Stihl BG65, probably had it 10 years now. Used every week to clear drive and decks of tree debris.As far as leaves,I don't rake, only blow where I cant get my JD Z425 with a power bagger. Hate raking leaves. We have curbside bagged lawn clippings/leaf pickup. I agree with others, if you have anything but a tiny yard and want to blow your leaves, get a walk behind blower or backpack.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Should have said I would prefer not to have a backpack blower. Thinking about if the wife uses it, a backpack would not work for her.
    I have two backpack blowers. I loaned the smaller Stihl to my son and his wife uses it. It is fairly light weight and easy to use. The one I use is a Shindaiwa - it is much heavier but so powerful, leaves, limbs, rocks, bricks, would probably knock my dog over. I love it but it's probably too heavy for your situation. Perhaps you could visit a store and try some on.

I've had and used hand-held blowers - my opinion is those with gasoline engines they are too heavy except for short periods. The electric model I had was far lighter and had plenty of power. The disadvantage is you have to trail a long cord. A big advantage is you you don't have to mess with fuel, oil, spark plugs, air filter, starting, hot exhaust, and noise.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    I use Echo backpack blower. Works really well and dependable. I like Echo stuff.
    +1
    I have the Echo backpack model. It works well, but it can be a little cumbersome to strap on, so I set it on my truck, or work bench and step into it.

Dennis
    I agree, they're dependable. I have an Echo 660 chainsaws from the mid 80's. I do nothing to that chain saw, and it still runs great. Sometimes it will sit for months, and months, maybe years. Fill it with gas, check the Bar oil, and go. My Echo weed whacker is the same way.
    That's why I bought an Echo backpack blower.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

something else you should consider, is what the ratio of oil to fuel is if you have other equipment that requires mixing oil additive in the fuel. You would be wise to get a blower that runs the same mix ratio. I have 3 Stihl machines that all use 50:1 mix. We had a huge leaf blowing project, that started out with rakes. Quickly realized we would never finish with rakes. I wanted another Stihl , but the store was closed - around 3 on a Saturday afternoon. Ended up with an Echo backpak blower. The largest or next to it they had. it also uses 50:1 mix so I still only have to keep one mix ratio fuel.
    Years ago I ran one tank of 50:1 fuel in a 40:1 weedeater. Before that tank was used up, I noticed a big loss of power. Only after running out of fuel and realizing what I did, and putting the correct fuel in the tank did the consquences become apparent. Pulling the rope the engine had a rattling sound, and refused to start. I removed the sparkplug and shined flashlight into the hole to see a gaulled cylinder wall.
    Having only one fuel mix will elimated any chance of ruining an expensive engine. My weedeater was junk, saved for parts for the new replacement. I had an attachment for it that I needed at the time, and it made more sense to replace that weedeater than buy another and additional attachment too.
    The Echo backpak blower I got is a beast. Somewhere around $600 I don't recall exact price. We used it to blow leaves up on property we have, then ran all of those leaves through a shredder and worked them into our small garden. We finished up with 6 long bed truck loads of shredded leaves, all I could load on it with tractor & frontend loader.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

I've had a Stihl handheld for several years and while it's light and reliable, I was tired of the noise and mixing oil/gas. I purchased a Dolmar handheld a couple months ago and love it. It's a 4 stroke, very, very quiet. It's a bit heavier than the Stihl although well balanced. Starts 1st or second pull. runs like a clock and it's very smooth.
    Mac

I love my Stihl. Not sure of the model. I use it as a vacuum in the fall to chew up fallen leaves and reduce volume. Works great.

For smaller leaf blowing jobs and grass clipping cleanup, I use the same small hand-held Husqvarna that Dave Lehnert recommended. I've had it for about 3-4 years and it has been very reliable, with light weight (suitable for SWMBO use) and easy starting. It puts out a strong stream of 120 MPH air that gets the job done. I also have a bigger blower on wheels powered by a Briggs & Stratton engine that will move the big piles of leaves when the fall foliage drops.

I have a Stihl backpack blower that doesn't get much use at my new house. I found that a blower took just forever to move large amounts of leaves. I tried blowing the leaves on my small front lawn and gave up after a couple of hours. I started bagging them with my mower and then dumping them in a trailer and hauling them to local disposal site.

I think you'll find that a non-backpack gasoline leaf blower will get heavy after using it for a while.