Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation wanted on Gas powered Leaf Blower

Recommendation wanted on Gas powered Leaf Blower

Want to get one. I am getting older and I want to make collecting the leaves easier than raking. I have read some reviews on various websites and every make has some negative reviews. Can someone comment / recommend one they have used and how it performs etc.

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Stihl BR600 here, only because Stihl doesn't make a 700. Reasonably quiet, very powerful, and completely reliable. Whatever you get, consider the fact that at some point you will need parts or service; buying from a local reputable shop will make both of those things easier.

Should have said I would prefer not to have a backpack blower. Thinking about if the wife uses it, a backpack would not work for her.
    George

Blog Entries
    Stihl BG 86. Hardest part was learning to start it. It's easier than most. Prime fuel bulb. Choke it, short pull, off choke, short pull-starts/run. I was used to long pulls and was pulling the start cord like it was a B-17. I was used to other small engine tools. I also use the Stihl Synthetic Fuel. Never have to worry about oil or storage.
    Last edited by Sean Troy; 06-20-2016 at 8:18 AM.

I use the 30cc Husqvarna backpack model and love it. It takes neglect since frequently it goes nine months or more without being used or emptied. Starts on the first series of pulls every time. Neighbors always want to borrow it. If I was going handheld, a friend owns a Stihl that works quite well. As far as parts availability goes, if you stick with either Stihl or Husqvarna you will be fine. Honestly, most of the time the dealers order parts if they are needed anyway. I always see folks at the Stihl dealer complaining about the store not having the parts in stock.

Billy Goat on wheels. I have a 13 hp that clears about an 8 foot swath in one pass including sticks and rocks, but they do make smaller, lighter ones.

http://www.billygoat.com/Product-Cat...heeled-blowers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8jW9_JCr14
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-20-2016 at 9:04 AM.

I have the Stihl BG50 and very happy with it. We use it for a lot of things but leaves in the fall the biggest use. We use it to blow leaves out away from beds, trees, house to make it easier to pick up. I also use it at times to blow I w light snow off the steps and sidewalk. It was one of the best purchases for the yard that we have made.

We have a Stihl and love it. Best part is that my wife has claimed it; uses it all the time. So, given she can start, run it, and be satisfied, can't go wrong.

Blog Entries
    My recommendation would be to wait until all your neighbors are awake before getting out in the morning and blowing leaves around.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My recommendation would be to wait until all your neighbors are awake before getting out in the morning and blowing leaves around.

jtk

Suggestion noted.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

jtk
    My neighbors use a lawn service that thinks it's ok to go full bore at or before 7AM (on my day off ). I figure that means its ok for me to do whatever I want to do at 7:00 on their days off too...

12. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

jtk
    I like to wait for neighbors to get up and leave for work.

then I blow the leaves over to their yard.

sure makes my life easier.

DOn't get a Craftsman. I got one several years ago for a fathers day gift and I kept it because I didn't want to hurt my kids feelings. That POS has been nothing but trouble. Its very hard to start cold and to make matters worse, if it quits running when hot it won't restart without a great deal of trouble. Then the things is loud and doesn't have much power to boot.

Our closest neighbors are two dog barks away, and there are always fishing boats with big motors going early any morning, rain or shine.

You not saying how much leaves or property size. The choice of leaf blowers is largely dependent on the work load.

For me with a large property surrounded by mostly tall oaks.... a Billy Goat F902S 9hp blower along with Stihl BR600 backpack gets the job done each fall weekend. The back gets the leaves away from house, landscaping and tight spots while the roller blows takes the leaves back to the forest. Literally, I move enough leaves each weekend to fill a big box truck in 2-3 hours.

What I use is probably more than what you need, I suspect.