Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vicmarc chucks - no set screw?

Vicmarc chucks - no set screw?

In the humour to buy another chuck and I was considering a Vicmarc. I have a PM 3520B that it will be used on.

I have discovered that Vicmarc cannot be locked on the spindle via a setscrew like my Oneway Stronghold. That would make me worry about spinning it in reverse for sanding, etc.

Have you found a solution for that?

Perhaps I should stick with Oneway since I am down that path already??

No set screw. No problem. Never had one unwind on me. - John

Likewise, It has never been a problem

I haven't had an issue either. The machining is excellent.

I don't have a Vicmarc, or a set screw, and have had no problems. Tighten the chuck on your spindle with your wrench, it shouldn't come off. I also turn in reverse, sometimes, not often, and have not had it come loose if I tighten it on the spindle. I don't see why you should avoid a Vicmarc if it doesn't have a set screw. BUT, since you already have (probably) the best chuck, why do you want to change? I'd stick with the Oneways. I can't afford them, but if I could, I'd stick with one brand. Mostly so I don't have to find 2 differnt keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I don't have a Vicmarc, or a set screw, and have had no problems. Tighten the chuck on your spindle with your wrench, it shouldn't come off. I also turn in reverse, sometimes, not often, and have not had it come loose if I tighten it on the spindle. I don't see why you should avoid a Vicmarc if it doesn't have a set screw. BUT, since you already have (probably) the best chuck, why do you want to change? I'd stick with the Oneways. I can't afford them, but if I could, I'd stick with one brand. Mostly so I don't have to find 2 differnt keys.
    I have Oneway SH and Nova thus far. I like the Oneway but would not buy an additional Nova. I bought a Nova package deal when I had another/older lathe and it has been okay but the SH is bigger and better from my perspective.

The Stronghold has a set screw and I am not afraid to turn in reverse. I have friends in the local turning club who tout the Vicmarc and that has spurred my interest. I then discovered the setscrew issue that I am investigating.

John, Al, and Doug,
    Thanks for the feedback.

For a little more clarity of your applications, are you turning wood as well as sanding in reverse? Or are you sanding only?
    Thanks

If I was turning wood in reverse, a set screw could come in handy, but I am not a lefty, so not necessary. I have heard of pieces unwinding when the lathe is turned off, never happened, but would consider that to be more of a case of the electronic braking needing to be adjusted. If you sand in reverse and it comes loose, as soon as you take your hands off, it stops unwinding. Also, if it comes off while sanding, you are using too much pressure.

robo hippy

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Vicmarc have actually designed a far better solution than set screws. Their safety collar is designed to fit into a Vee groove on the chuck insert an the spindle nose on the lathe BUT it will only fit newer Vicmarc lathes and chucks - no retrofit option.

A set screw is not a fail safe design so turners should critically look at the need to opperate a lathe in reverse for other than light sanding operations.
    Last edited by Geoff Whaling; 06-20-2016 at 5:26 PM.

Alan, unless money is the issue, I'd stick with the One-way chucks. That would make it so that any jaw sets you'd buy, would fit any chuck you would own. Plus there would be less changing of chucks, because the jaws don't fit the one your using.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Alan, unless money is the issue, I'd stick with the One-way chucks. That would make it so that any jaw sets you'd buy, would fit any chuck you would own. Plus there would be less changing of chucks, because the jaws don't fit the one your using.
    Len
    This. By all accounts both are excellent chucks, but IIRC the jaws are not interchangeable between them. Unless there's some characteristic of the Vicmarc that you absolutely need/want, or the OneWay is woefully deficient in some area for you, stick with the chuck ecosystem you're already into makes more economic sense, unless you plan on changing completely. Mind you, I say this yet my one and only chuck is a Vicmarc, so I'm not a OneWay acolyte.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

FWIW, a couple of years ago I had a big chuck (not a Vicmarc) with a heavy bowl blank unspool on me while experimenting with adjusting the VFD to speed up deceleration on ramp-to-stop. Fortunately had the tool rest up near the face of the blank, so it didn't spin off completely. Startled me, though. Now I'm less aggressive with settings.

When I sand in reverse, I just use light pressure and don't bother with set screws. If I were to actually turn in reverse, definitely would.

If you really like the Vicmarc chucks, I suspect it would not be a big deal to drill and tap a couple of holes in the insert for set screws. And then you'd be sure they seated on the right spots of your spindle. Some spindles have a dedicated channel to receive set screws, and don't align with those of some aftermarket chucks. If the set screws don't seat fully in the channel, it's easy to gall the spindle threads.

I turn in reverse on spindle hollowing all the time with my Vicmarc. Reverse sand large bowls and never had an issue.

Use some anti-seizing compound on your spindle threads rather than plastic rings ect. It prevents seizing and wear and can be found in any auto store. Most brands also have threads and metal dust in the stuff which seems to prevent backing off. I have never used a set screw and turn and sand in reverse.

Under the heading of what it is worth. I have two Nova's and two Hurricanes, the Nova's have grub screws and the Hurricanes don't. I ended up with a mixture due to seizing cheap purchase opportunity without contemplation of consequence. I have had large and out of balance lumps start to spin off when shutting down. I am not a mechanical engineer but I believe this is called an overhauling load. My ramp down speed is set pretty conservatively but still there it is. To be fair it has always been only a turn or two, but it scares the @@@ out of me. Between that and my routine of reverse sanding between grits, I have made a decision to look for another chuck system that incorporates a grub screw and which is heavier than the Nova.

I have adjusted the ramp down but at some point one does not want to wait extra long for the lathe to stop to protect from the occasional problem. To be fair this is not always a chuck issue as I have had large lumps spin down slower than the lathe and proceed to drill themselves via the dead center. The little guy does not have a chance. :}