Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If You Have A 7-1/2, Why Would You Need An 8?

If You Have A 7-1/2, Why Would You Need An 8?

I have a L-N 7-1/2 jointer. I have it tuned pretty well. But I keep seeing videos that talk about the wonders of the #8.

I don't own a power jointer. I joint all my boards by hand. Would a #8 make my life easier? If so, why?

Thanks,
    Julie
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I have a L-N 7-1/2 jointer. I have it tuned pretty well. But I keep seeing videos that talk about the wonders of the #8.
    This must be the first time I've seen mention of a 7-1/2 jointer bench plane. As we all know, LN just copies whatever Stanley made and I don't recall a 7-1/2 from their stable.

A LN #8 is nearly a full kg heavier than a #7 so you need a few extra muscles to move that beast around.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Julie,

What would help us on this is to know the dimensions on the plane you have. That is: 1. the length of the plane, 2. the width of the plane, 3. the width of the plane iron, and 4. the weight of the plane. If folks have that information they will understand better what you have. If folks know those figures, they can compare what you have to the #7 or #8 Stanley (or some other brand) that they have. Those figures are widely available on the net for the old Stanley #8s, so folks can then compare apples to apples with the old Stanley planes that they have experience with.

I decided to add to the above, and have also read Martins post which follows before adding this. Like Martin, I only have #7s, but I have more than one of those. Since I don't have a #8, I can only list what others have said about it, and Christopher Schwarz says that there is a game changer difference between the #7 and the #8m the #8 being a horse of a plane to push around and use, but once you get it going, it will plow through grain that will stop a #7 dead in its tracks. I would love to have a #8, but the truth is that most of the lumber I plane is not difficult to plane, and I don't work with difficult grain so for me the #7 is probably all I really need.

I can say this, though, when I was young, fairly stout, and doing carpentry and construction full time, we sometimes used sledge hammers to help set of forms, etc., that weighed less than what a Stanley #8 weighs. I have a sledge in my garage that weighs more than a Stanley #8, but ones that weigh less are pretty common. If a #7 is tiring for you to use, the #8 will be drastically more so. So, when trying to think about what a Stanley #8 plane will be like to push, pick up, and use, think "sledge hammer."

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 06-21-2016 at 1:00 AM.

The LN 7 1/2 is a low angle jointer.

To answer the first post, I have a 7 1/2, and a 7, but no 8.

If you go to a LN show, you can try an 8, but it will be harder to push.

I tried them both, and liked the 7 better.

I am not a weak man, but the 8 would wear me out.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/...nter?node=4167

The 7-1/2 is a low angle jointer, as Martin said. Initially I found low angle planes worked very well for me. And I thought I'd never find a use for a standard plane. But once I realized how to set up the standard plane correctly, I am finding I really love how they perform. I have a #3 and a #4 and they have become my favorites. But the #8 may just be a bit of a beast.

I guess I was just wondering if there is any noticeable difference between the two, considering how I use the 7-1/2 as mostly a jointer, as opposed to flattening a board.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Had a type 9 No.8c for a few years.....it was just too large a plane for the items I make..

24" long, with an iron that is 2-5/8" wide.....at 10 pounds, it is a load to try and push along, AND keep square to an edge.

Right now, I have three #7 jointers in the shop. There is of course, a #6c and a #5-1/2 in the till. Used based on how long a board I am working on.

The 7s I have? Two are type 9, Stanley #7c....and an Ohio Tool Co. #0-7 .......each one is set up just a hair different.

Julie,l

Thanks for listing the link. The LN 7 1/2 is extremely similar, size wise, to the Stanley #7, but the Stanley #7 weighs nearly a pound more than your LN BU #7 1/2. Thus, going to a Stanley #7 will be a step up, in the weight you are pushing and the #8 would be real step up. I have most of the Stanley sizes going from #3 to #7,and the difference in effort show up more when going from one of the bigger sizes to the next, but the differences don't seem very much to me when going us step wise in the smaller sizes.

This is just my opinion only, and YMMV. It will be interesting to read what guys that actually have and use #8s will say. Part of the reason I don't have a #8 yet is they tend to be a bit pricy, IMHO, and the lady of the house has advised me we need to watch our pennies for a bit longer.

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post

I don't own a power jointer. I joint all my boards by hand. Would a #8 make my life easier? If so, why?

Thanks,
    Julie
    The L-N 7-1/2 is a bevel-up plane, like the Veritas Bevel-Up Jointer. As such it lacks a cap iron and is arguably inferior to both the 7 and the 8 from a tearout-control perspective.

Other than that the 8 is 2" longer and just under 3/8" wider (blade dimension). Whether that's "good" or not depends on your strength and preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    This is just my opinion only, and YMMV. It will be interesting to read what guys that actually have and use #8s will say. Part of the reason I don't have a #8 yet is they tend to be a bit pricy, IMHO, and the lady of the house has advised me we need to watch our pennies for a bit longer.

Stew
    I have a Veritas #7, a Veritas BUJ (very similar to the L-N "7-1/2"), and an L-N #8.

Between the 2 BD planes, I don't find that the 2" length difference makes any difference in the length of workpiece they can efficiently joint. The #8 is handy for jointing very wideworkpieces like glue-ups (provided you're comfortable with the weight and cutting forces - it's all "light work" compared to roughing, after all), but if I had to choose one it would be the 7, hands down.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 06-21-2016 at 8:43 AM.

Blog Entries
    Hi Julie,

If the #7-1/2 is working well for you I do not see much reason to pursue a #8. Maybe start looking for one at yard sales and such.

Your low angle jointer is likely less work to use than a bevel down jointer with a wider blade.

At one time I wasn't actually thinking of getting a #8 since the #7 seemed capable of filling my needs. Then on a visit to a collector/dealer he made me an offer on a #8 I couldn't refuse. Now it seems the #8 gets used more than the #7. Then again I have the body mass to push it around. More often my #6 is picked up for work that would be fitting for the larger planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Personally I like a try plane over a metal jointer for face jointing. I own a BD Lie Nielsen 7 plane and David Weaver built me a wooden try plane. The try plane is much easier on me for this type of work.

In fact a combination of both a wooden double iron try plane and a wooden double iron jack plane makes for very fast work of face jointing rough lumber.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Julie, your bevel up to bevel down preference mirrors mine. I have a bevel up jointer though and like it. I wouldn't get hung up on the style or size though. All can be made to work well and it is ultimately a question of preference and ergonomics.

To that end, if you are evaluating, try a wooden jointer. You may like the lightness as do I. Of course they do favor the big handed since there is no front knob.

Last, if ergonomics are an issue consider the veritas custom planes. They are bevel down but can be customized to the size of your hands.

You might check out Derek Cohen's website for a good review on the different jointer styles.

Julie, as Prashun has stated his liking the LN BU jointer, I have a similar liking for it, and use it on virtually every project I work on. If I pay attention to grain direction, I have no issues with tear out. As with any tool, the more you use it, the more familiar you will become and the better your results will be!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    A few folks have hit on what I think the core question is; bevel up or bevel down. If you are not experiencing trouble with tearout and are getting a good surface result I think you are fine right where you are. As always this depends on what you are doing but, in my hybrid world the BU jointer serves me well with no issues. I don't really give it a thought. Folks who are more strictly hand tool oriented seem to prefer a wider array of tools in the arsenal. Take away my machines and I probably wood too.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I will chime in with my 607 Bedrock with Veritas breaker and iron. I really don't use it much, but we all know you absolutely must have one of each.