Thread: how to make relief or 3d engraving by co2 laser machine?

Question how to make relief or 3d engraving by co2 laser machine?

I once saw a wood relief engraved by co2 laser machine about 4 or 5 years ago. But now I haven't found this kind of co2 laser machine or software in China.
    So it needs special software? Or just need relief or 3d pictures? Z axis should be same as CNC router machines?

I have done a few on wood, softer is better, using good grayscale artwork. One had a bunch of grapes that came out almost round. After several passes it will develop some relief. I have done some even on 1/4" oak that came out much like sandblasted signs. Most recently a crest for the podium for a country club meeting room. Sorry I have no pictures.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

As Joe indicated the trick is the artwork. Good quality grayscale art will produce 3d results--but it is a slow repetitive process. There are some youtube tutorials.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Definitely the image quality and power helps, as mentioned you need an image that goes from black to white and the laser adjusts the power based on the density of the black. This was done in one pass on my Kern.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Helix 60 watt, Epilog 36EXT 75 watt, 2 Rotary Attachments, 3 Jaw Chuck Rotary Attachment, Kern 52x100 400 watt putting out 580 watts, Photobrasive Laser Mask, Rayzist 1924 Blast Cabinet, ikonics blast cabinet, SR3000 Resist, Epson 1400 Printer, 1 Paragon Glass Kiln, Covington Wet Belt Sander/Polisher, 2 JDS Air Filtration Units, 14" Stone Saw, and A Few Other Things I Forgot About!

Quote Originally Posted by Braden Todd View Post
    Definitely the image quality and power helps, as mentioned you need an image that goes from black to white and the laser adjusts the power based on the density of the black. This was done in one pass on my Kern.
    That's a nice result Braden. What type of wood did you use?

I've done a couple, and I do get a 3d effect. But, the black burned badly. Wondering if it was the power setting or the type of wood.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Typical Chinese machines don't read grey scale images
    You did what !

There is a good exploration of a Ruida control machine at this site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXIDwQxhX3k- also see Russ's video #58 for his previous experiments. Very smart guy. (not as smart as Donald... but who is?) Gene

The one I posted was done on maple, seems to work the best for the 3D engravings. The amount of detail in there is incredible, and the piece is only about 4"x4"
    Epilog Helix 60 watt, Epilog 36EXT 75 watt, 2 Rotary Attachments, 3 Jaw Chuck Rotary Attachment, Kern 52x100 400 watt putting out 580 watts, Photobrasive Laser Mask, Rayzist 1924 Blast Cabinet, ikonics blast cabinet, SR3000 Resist, Epson 1400 Printer, 1 Paragon Glass Kiln, Covington Wet Belt Sander/Polisher, 2 JDS Air Filtration Units, 14" Stone Saw, and A Few Other Things I Forgot About!

My GWeike with Lasercut software will do it. Depth of cut doesn't scale linearly with the power setting however. If 100% power barely cuts all of the way through, 50% doesn't carve halfway through. You would need to use a power meter, or raster a bunch of squares to map out what % achieves each mm of depth, and adjust the greyscale levels to match.

My GCC has a 3D cut option, whereas it will add passes to the background portions, which should help with overburn (but I've never tried it). Would be nice to do in one pass, but one can only do so much with 35 watts!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks for all of you. i will try if we can use laserwork to get it after learn of your ideas. For grey scale image, our cnc router machine can read, but I do hope to make relief or 3d by laser machines.

anyone tried laser machines with CNC router system? autocad, artcam?
    for cnc router machine, Z axis moves up and down to get deep and shallow engraving so that to get relief or 3d, but change to laser machine, it is the power output issue, when it needs to engrave deeper, then power output rate is bigger, vise versa. Surely we must get relief or 3d image. But anyway, the result is not as good as cnc router machine does, right?

The problem with las and z axis is focus. You might get more relief but less detail, without being in focus, and probably a lot of charring, even flames.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    The problem with las and z axis is focus. You might get more relief but less detail, without being in focus, and probably a lot of charring, even flames.
    Yes, that's a problem. For z axis, it must has right focus to cut or engrave. I think the better way is to control power output rate. But it is not easy to control.