Thread: Wood drawer runners- How to attach?

Wood drawer runners- How to attach?

I see that in Fine Woodworking, wood runners are usually placed by screws front and back. This however is with dimensionally stable plywood as the bearing piece. I am using solid wood. For smaller (3" high, 14" wide) drawers, what is the safest manner of attaching the wood runners?
    I was thinking of glue in the rear then a couple of 18 gauge brads at the front and middle if I use a dado. If I don't use a dado for the runner I was thinking a screw in the back and a sliding slot screw in the middle and front.

Thoughts?
    Dean Lapinel

lapinelarts.com

I would just use screws,easy to remove them to "re-shoe" or replace after a lot of miles on them from getting out socks and underwear. With kiln dried wood I doubt you need the slotted hole, but it certainly won't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I would just use screws,easy to remove them to "re-shoe" or replace after a lot of miles on them from getting out socks and underwear. With kiln dried wood I doubt you need the slotted hole, but it certainly won't hurt.
    Thanks Mel,

Dado or no dado?
    Dean Lapinel

lapinelarts.com

Blog Entries
    I use hard maple. It wears well and is easy to adjust with a block plane when fitting drawers.

Copy of drawer-fitting.jpg

I use dados for larger drawers like dressers that require some weight holding ability but, skip them for small stuff like nite stands. I drill four holes. Two with over-size through holes and counter bores to accept pan head screws with washers. These allow adjustment. Two more with counter bores and snug trough holes. These lock the rails in place.

drawers 4 006_renamed_3802.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks,
    Nice pics/work/shaving!
    You're fortunate to have the grain in your favor. I wouldn't be able to fix mine down with the two outside screws as my side grain is perpendicular to the runners.
    Dean Lapinel

lapinelarts.com