Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a laser without a bottom to engrave large items

Laser engraving is just branding the wood with a machine. I don't get the "HAS to be laser engraved" for a few hundred dollars vs thousands you could get a custom Iron made and no one would be the wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Lindgren View Post
    Excellent idea, but the client is set on laser engraving.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Laser engraving is just branding the wood with a machine. I don't get the "HAS to be laser engraved" for a few hundred dollars vs thousands you could get a custom Iron made and no one would be the wiser.
    Branding on wood looks nothing like laser engraved wood... Often, branding is uneven in depth, usually not nearly as crisp as lasering, and frequently exhibits charring in a way that lasering does not because the laser gets depth by vaporizing the wood where the brand burns it. Brands tend to be limited in size and fairly simple, where lasering can be large and complex.

A custom made branding iron, heated to the proper temp and applied with a press, can give you results that would be difficult to tell it wasn't engraved.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Monaghan View Post
    Branding on wood looks nothing like laser engraved wood... Often, branding is uneven in depth, usually not nearly as crisp as lasering, and frequently exhibits charring in a way that lasering does not because the laser gets depth by vaporizing the wood where the brand burns it. Brands tend to be limited in size and fairly simple, where lasering can be large and complex.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Chester,

One last thought for you. Be super careful if you are using a laser without a bottom! If you inadvertently fired it off without a suitable material in it you could end up boring a hole clear through to China before you caught your error! I can only imagine the horrible international consequences of such an act. Or worse yet, if your laser weren't level and you angled the hole you could pop out into an ocean or a really deep lake, and then all that water would come pouring out onto your side. Probably affect the wobble of the planet, global humidity, the Asian Monsoon season, etc. Please take suitable precautions OK??

Sorry....it just took me 3 hours to drive 40 miles from Everett, WA to our house in West Seattle. I am toast!! And please......don't hit me with that old joke where I talk about how long it took to go 40 miles and you tell me you understand cause you used to have a truck like that too! <grin>

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Dave sounds like you could do it a lot faster on a Bike and not the pedal type. Bikers can use the HOV lane Huge difference in rush hr traffic. If there's a wreck and traffics at a dead stop I scoot down the breakdown lane.
    Were not suppose to but do they really expect bikers to sit in the burning sun at 110+it could kill us pretty quick

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Chester,

One last thought for you. Be super careful if you are using a laser without a bottom! If you inadvertently fired it off without a suitable material in it you could end up boring a hole clear through to China before you caught your error! I can only imagine the horrible international consequences of such an act. Or worse yet, if your laser weren't level and you angled the hole you could pop out into an ocean or a really deep lake, and then all that water would come pouring out onto your side. Probably affect the wobble of the planet, global humidity, the Asian Monsoon season, etc. Please take suitable precautions OK??

Sorry....it just took me 3 hours to drive 40 miles from Everett, WA to our house in West Seattle. I am toast!! And please......don't hit me with that old joke where I talk about how long it took to go 40 miles and you tell me you understand cause you used to have a truck like that too! <grin>

Dave
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Oh Bert. 40 miles in 3 hours? I could do that on a bicycle in waaaaay less time than that. Heck with an engine! Holy cow! I do love Seattle, but our wise city fathers need to have their noses rubbed in the merde they are creating with growth and traffic and construction.

On the other hand....I got to listen to a bunch of radio programs I love, and some podcasts on my phone. And in the long stops I did a bit of sketching while I sat with the engine off. Amazing.

Oooooh! What would happen if......I mounted my laser on the hood of the car facing forward? I would have to buy a fiber laser to get through the steel of the cars in front of me. But if I boost the power could I clear the road in front of me as I go????? Oooooooooh! Bet the courts would look askance at that though. Curses! Another brilliant idea down the tubes.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I was thinking of mounting a laser source on my balcony to lop off my neighbours overgrowing vegetation that is partially blocking my view...crew cut for the win...
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I have just bought a RedSail M900 100W.
    It has a motorized Z-Axis and it can go down to 400mm.
    I know it's not enough but it is nearly there

What was frustrating with the Full Spectrum Hobby laser? I have been happy with mine, but have not done engraving with the bottom removed.
    Robin
    Bluebird Woodcrafts