Thread: Upper Peninsula End Table

Upper Peninsula End Table

This project was a Father's Day gift for my dad for up at our family cabin in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Lumber is clear grade 5/4 pine that my local Home Depot started carrying a few weeks ago.
    I routed in the shape of the UP about 3/4 deep. It is filled with gravel from Lake Superior and topped with about a dozen Lake Superior Agates that I found last summer. The epoxy is Envirotex that I found at Hobby Lobby. I entended on ordering some West System epoxy, but with a 40% off coupon for Hobby Lobby, I couldn't pass up the deal, and the result was crystal clear.
    The base ended up a little bit wider than I had planned, as it about an inch or so wider than the top on each side. I guess I'll never have to worry about it tipping over though. Legs are tapered out at 8 degrees if I remember right. It was just kind of an arbitrary number that I felt would look good. I wasn't going off any plans, and didn't really draw anything out. The spreaders or whatever you would call them between legs are half lap jointed.

Anyways, here are the pictures.

Very nice work Scott!
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Interesting project. This should be well appreciated at the cabin.

Nice job Scott.
    Stones from Lake Superior are beautiful.
    Gary ( a fellow Yooper)

Very cool, Scott! When I saw the first pic, the epoxy was so clear I had no idea it had been poured yet. Nice job!
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Well done, Scott. I’ve used that lumber from HD for a number of projects...radiata pine, IIRC. Very clear and pretty straight grained. Reminds me that I need to get back up the UP soon...beautiful country up there.

Very nice Scott. I went to Northern Michigan University as did my 3 daughters. We live in New Mexico now but when I retire we plan on spending our summers in Marquette.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

I love it, I may incorporate the epoxy stone/shell idea in my bay cottage! Thanks for sharing!

I want a cabin in the UP!
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!