Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Windows 10 question

I've upgraded three PC's with clean installs - fully wiped boot drives using the "diskpart" utility, and zero problems.

As far as the OS goes, Win10 blows Win8 out of the water, for all sorts of reasons. I can't think of a single downside.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I have a nice older computer with XP. Does it work on that?

Thanks,
    Rick

There's no way to know without trying it. I have gotten it to run on a few, while others have failed. I can't seem to remember what specifically is needed for the install to happen. However, if it DOES install, then Win10 is actually considerably more efficient than XP, so there's no problem as far as CPU overload.

If you just can't afford a new PC, then I would recommend trying the Win10 install on a new boot drive. That way you can always put the old drive back in and get going right away.

Also, make you you have the very last BIOS version installed first. That at least will give you a fighting chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Al,
    I know there are horror stories out there about upgrading to Win10, but there are far more happy stories like maybe 100 to 1. Unless you have some really unusual configuration, things should go smoothly. Sometimes you just need to go for it.
    MS is pretty much all in with Windows 10, so if you are going to stay with Windows you really do need to upgrade at some point. The question then becomes: If not now, when?
    Most people I know stay on the same version of Windows until they replace their PC. That is normally what I do, but I never explicitly allowed Windows 10 to install, yet it did. Since everything works and the interface is close to Windows 7 it hasn't bothered me too much.

Blog Entries
    Brian,
    We obviously don't know the same set of people. Most people I know have already upgraded their personal PC to Windows 10, and I can't think of even one person in my group of friends and colleagues who doesn't like it. To each his own, but if I am asked about it I will always recommend doing the upgrade.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.