Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price for sanding panels

Price for sanding panels

I have a local shop that is going to sand/flatten some glue up shelves for me. They are charging $65 an hour. Does that seem about right? I dont really have much choice right now as I need it done. Just wondering if I might need to look around for someone else next time.

That seems pretty steep to me. How many do you have to sand? I had a table top that I needed sanded and I took it to one of the large cabinet shops in town. They ran it through their large wide belt sander for me for free. They gave it a good 4 passes per side to flatten it and get it close to finish sanded for me, they've always taken care of me!

That's cheap. I charge $100 an hour for my widebelt time. It costs me between $.55-.65 per minute in just abrasives to run that thing. Plus an operator? That's a deal in my book. With a 60g and an 80g I can take .015" pretty easily on a full width pass at 23fpm though so you can sand a lot in that minute. Doors and face frames that aren't pulling a lot of power because of huge contact area, I'm taking about .025" per pass no problem and it's one pass per face and it's done.

Before somebody thinks I'm insane on my abrasive costs, the belts are $255.50 for a pair of them, I get between six and eight hours of run time depending on what is being ground on. If I did just Alder, I could probably retire on a set of belts. Harder woods build up a lot of heat and kill them pretty quickly.

Everything else in the shop that is T&M, the shop rate is $65/hr, but most everything else doesn't have the input or capital costs of that sander. It's the most expensive machine in the shop, and uses the most consumables.
    Last edited by Martin Wasner; 06-22-2016 at 11:57 AM. Reason: grammer

I am not a commercial shop and have done it for friends but $65/hr is cheap to me.

I think that is about the rate around here, too. You can use a belt sander with rough paper to remove high spots and any
    excess glue that might foul their belts ,to save some. Or just do the whole job.

There are 5 shelves about 24x29. It was just the receptionist quoting a price so she may have just been covering herself. They did a entire bench top glue up for me a few years ago (i brought the wood ripped down to size) and only charged me $50.

Thanks so much. I didn't think it was a bad price at all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    That's cheap. I charge $100 an hour for my widebelt time. It costs me between $.55-.65 per minute in just abrasives to run that thing. Plus an operator? That's a deal in my book. With a 60g and an 80g I can take .015" pretty easily on a full width pass at 23fpm though so you can sand a lot in that minute. Doors and face frames that aren't pulling a lot of power because of huge contact area, I'm taking about .025" per pass no problem and it's one pass per face and it's done.

Before somebody thinks I'm insane on my abrasive costs, the belts are $255.50 for a pair of them, I get between six and eight hours of run time depending on what is being ground on. If I did just Alder, I could probably retire on a set of belts. Harder woods build up a lot of heat and kill them pretty quickly.

Everything else in the shop that is T&M, the shop rate is $65/hr, but most everything else doesn't have the input or capital costs of that sander. It's the most expensive machine in the shop, and uses the most consumables.
    We run 8/4 hardwood tables 8hrs a day without needing changed. Either your using your sander as a planner or you need to look into another brand belt....

I charge $60 an hour as a shop rate. If you're a steady customer, that rate can go down significantly. If you're a customer I've found hard to deal with in the past, that rate can go up significantly.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    We run 8/4 hardwood tables 8hrs a day without needing changed. Either your using your sander as a planner or you need to look into another brand belt....
    How many fpm are your belts turning? Faster leaves a finer and more consistent scratch, but with the cost of chewing up abrasives. I'm mine is pushing 5000 fpm on the second head, and I think 4000 on the first. Most older widebelt run about 3600 rpm

I take very aggressive passes. I'm taking 13/16" to .788" on my first pass which is the back, and to .760" on the second pass which is the face of a door or face frame. One pass per face, that's it. 120g in the first head, 180g on the second combi head. The on machine machine time is more costly than the abrasives. One guy pitching, the other catching at $25/hr each is $.83 per minute. I spend a lot on abrasives, but I figure I would've spent $7k more in labor last year on just on machine time had I been running my old single head sander doing six passes.

I'm at the bare minimum for dust collection which is part of the problem as well. Heat and dust extraction aren't up to par. I'm curious how much mote life I get when I finally get my new baghouse up and running.

I'm using 3M purple belts. 43x75. I wish I would've ponied up the cash to have a machine that took the 103" belts. A lot more surface area for not much more money.

I hadn't heard that 8/4 sands harder than 4/4....

Shop rate here is $70/hr. I charge for belts if needed (I sometimes do jobs where people bring me a lot of material to joint/plane/sand).

Hardwoods I generally get a very good life from belts. Pine is death no matter what grit or removal per pass. Always charge for belts in that case.

WHen guys figure what time they are saving having something put through the widebelt VS doing it by hand, they are generally very happy to pay the rate.
    Andrew J. Coholic

$65 an hour seems cheap to me assuming they are efficient. I did 56 kitchen cabinet doors at a shop that charges $100 an hour. My panels are pretty flat to start with. They took all the panels flat and to 150 grit or so for $60 total.

I'm going to say you did good with that $65 hourly rate. If your happy with the results, go back to them when you have another sanding job that needs to get done.

Red
    RED

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    How many fpm are your belts turning? Faster leaves a finer and more consistent scratch, but with the cost of chewing up abrasives. I'm mine is pushing 5000 fpm on the second head, and I think 4000 on the first. Most older widebelt run about 3600 rpm

I take very aggressive passes. I'm taking 13/16" to .788" on my first pass which is the back, and to .760" on the second pass which is the face of a door or face frame. One pass per face, that's it. 120g in the first head, 180g on the second combi head. The on machine machine time is more costly than the abrasives. One guy pitching, the other catching at $25/hr each is $.83 per minute. I spend a lot on abrasives, but I figure I would've spent $7k more in labor last year on just on machine time had I been running my old single head sander doing six passes.

I'm at the bare minimum for dust collection which is part of the problem as well. Heat and dust extraction aren't up to par. I'm curious how much mote life I get when I finally get my new baghouse up and running.

I'm using 3M purple belts. 43x75. I wish I would've ponied up the cash to have a machine that took the 103" belts. A lot more surface area for not much more money.

I hadn't heard that 8/4 sands harder than 4/4....
    Checked today. We are averaging 3 weeks on a set of belts running a Sandya 16s.

"I hadn't heard that 8/4 sands harder than 4/4" That's my point.....
    Last edited by jack duren; 06-23-2016 at 5:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Checked today. We are averaging 3 weeks on a set of belts running a Sandya 16s.

"I hadn't heard that 8/4 sands harder than 4/4" That's my point.....

Right after I bought my machine I called the factory with some questions. I wasn't happy with the scratch the way I was when I first started using it and I wondered if it was the graphite on the platen that was wearing and the cause. Turns out it was, and I just had to drop it down a few thousandths and life was good again. Anyway, I was BS-ing with the guy and told him about my horrid belt life, he said that they sold a six head machine, all on top, to a company that was running three shifts. It sounded like the thing ran pretty much all day. They went almost six months before having to swap belts. That's unreal, but when none of the heads are making a full pass I'm not that surprised. I don't know what the tipping point is where it makes sense to have six heads, but man you must be hammering product out the door.

I also swap belts anytime it starts leaving lines, there might be some life left there, but I'm not dealing with having to polish that stuff out with a orbital. It takes just too long and it seems like I'm permanently behind nowadays.