Thread: Scores in the first half

Scores in the first half

I picked up this SAC TS-120 about six weeks ago at an auction in Des Moines. A tech school was shutting down it's cabinetmaker program and selling off pretty much everything. I paid more than I would've liked, but I justified it knowing this thing has never done an eight hour day in it's life. It came with all the tools, a manual, even a spare 3/4" spindle that I'll probably never use. I don't have a use for it yet, it's just sitting in the corner looking pretty. I won't put it into service until I'm in the new shop. They had an Omnitech Selexx router I really wish I could've bought. It had 78 hours on it and sold for less than half of what a new one would cost. I just don't have a place to put it, and it would've jeopardized me getting my new building up pushing that much capital into something I couldn't immediately use.

This one I'm super happy about. My wife's employer was giving away a bunch of "stuff" he wasn't using anymore. The wheel needed to be faced and it was out of round, the tool bar was bent as well. A couple hundred dollars in accessories later and I'm pretty upset with myself for not acquiring one sooner. It's stupid how easy it is to put a very nice edge on a chisel. Way to go Tormek. A bit of grinding, and a bit of polishing, and I had chisels that would take hair no problem. Which is plenty sharp for me. He also gave me another Stablemate mitrebox stand. It's missing the clamps for the saw, but oh well. I've had one for a while and it's a decent stand. My only complaint is you can't fit two saws on it which is nice when doing crown to leave one beveled over, and for making the square cuts.

I've been on the hunt for more of these saws for a while. When I wasn't looking for one, they were everywhere. Now that I'm on the hunt for a few, they are nowhere to be found. I bought it on eBay, and I had to drive about four hours to get it, but for $500 I'm not complaining. The OMGA MEC300 isn't made any longer, and it's an awesome saw on a bench. This one has seen very light use. The only fault I've found to it is that it's been sitting for a long while. It took some effort this morning to free up the rotation on the table. Some lube, patience, and it broke free. Now it moves nice and smoothly. I've got an older Polish made Derda chop box which is identical to the omga's, but I don't know the history. It's been a solid workhorse for me, but it's missing the guard, it's getting a bit tired and needs a rebuild, it's also singe phase. I'm about positive the omga gaurd would work on it, I just haven't putting any effort into sourcing a new one.

Nice score Martin,Thats a one big looking coffee grinder.You must drink a lot.
    Tormeks are great I have one and use it a lot,on my second wheel
    The chop saw looks like it's all business.
    Happy for ya creeker.

Aj