Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Spokeshaves

Was going to suggest looking for a Millers Falls #2 spokeshave. Adjustable mouth, has an insert that can change how rounded the sole is (4 different settings), cutter is 2" wide. Rosewood handles, as well. Might want to look it up, sometime.

Here is what Steven was referring to. I just got one yesterday.

Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

I give up. I tried futzing with the LV and honing the blade again. While I can marginally use it without chatter, it still doesn't feel good to use. Even if I were to get it to work just right, I am so fed up with jacking around with it I will never like it now.
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Sorry to hear that Allen. But I know just how you feel.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Blog Entries
    Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen both make copies of the old Preston small shave with curved handles. I suspect both need a little/or more work to get them working well, my LN did. Spokeshaves with curved rests and or blades are typically harder to use than those with "flat" rests. Although most shaves, even the flat ones, usually are angled to some extent in relationship to the blade. I think LN makes the mouth on their shave overly tight to reduce chatter.

You might try pushing at an angle to the work vs pulling. These tools are unruly when they meet rising grain or wobble.

Blog Entries
    I have the Lee Valley spoke shave you mentioned. After I found the sweet spot on the shave, I have absolutely no issues with it.

If I need to take some wood off for fit up, it does great with translucent long shavings. It's good for rounding edges as well.

It is one of my go to shaves.

spokeshave.jpg
    Curls were piling up on the shave. Still, it was a bit more finese than these...
    drawknives.jpg
    rounding 2"x 2" x 48" posts. These used to be square....
    seat support blank.jpg
    used both the knives, and the spokeshave to fair the curve,,,

I honestly can't say enough good things about the bronze LN shaves. They literally just dont chatter at all and they can be set to take heavy cuts when need be. I can easily fair a curve with these small shaves where other shaves end up chattering on me. The last picture that steven posted is what I used to struggle with, all those small little isolated humps. After mastering these little shaves my curves have become much more fair and smooth. I rarely have to scrape the surface now a days with a nice sharp blade. Working to a line is also a big help to avoid all those small hills and valleys steven.

Couple more photos (hide your eyes, Mabel, tain't no bronze here) of the few I have..
    spokeshave.jpg
    Mouth is actually fairly tight, too..
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Seems to work well enough for what I do..
    Not sure IF you can see the line on the side of that rocker....may have already reached it....