Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Hate ________ The Most. Fill in the Blank.

Fire Ants...

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    How fast does that mower go to be able to mow five acres in a hour?...
    If I had to use a normal riding mower I would probably hire someone because they are so slow.
    When I first bought this place I used a riding mower on a section of field by the house. Then I bought a 52" gasoline zero-turn and could mow the same section in 1/4th of the time. Then I got the 60" Kubota and cut the time by 1/2 again. So the Kubota is about 8 times faster than the riding lawn mower PLUS it doesn't wear me out and beat me to death.

The field is wide open, gentle hill on one end but no trees or other obstructions. I go pretty fast and don't worry much about the quality of the cut. I like to cut the horse pasture to about 5-6" to keep the horses from getting fine grass seeds in their eyes.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    The field is wide open, gentle hill on one end but no trees or other obstructions. I go pretty fast and don't worry much about the quality of the cut. I like to cut the horse pasture to about 5-6" to keep the horses from getting fine grass seeds in their eyes.
    I suppose if I just had 2 acres of wide open field I could cut pretty fast too, but probably not as fast as a zero turn. I like the steering wheel on my Groundsmaster and don't really like zero turns.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I loved painting. One by one over the years my rooms started looking new! Until I got to the last room in my home and realized the first needed re-doing. Now I despise it.

I hate any job that makes me feel like Sisyphus. Laundry.
    Either you have a very large house, our you are a very slow painter.

Working for a living.

Fortunately only 22 months left...............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    As it relates to houses, painting. All the prep work and painting is a pain in the neck, literally.
    You have a higher opinion than I do!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I suppose if I just had 2 acres of wide open field I could cut pretty fast too, but probably not as fast as a zero turn. I like the steering wheel on my Groundsmaster and don't really like zero turns.
    I didn't much like it at first but I saw the value after a while. It is far quicker and less effort to steer than I had imagined.

I don't know anything about your mower, but due to the geometry and 2-wheel drive, what makes it nimble also makes it tricky on even gentle hills. It is real easy for it to get away from you on a sloped hill. I have learned how to control it well but I will not let anyone else operate it. It would be an absolute dream on level ground. I suspect the stand-behind mowers would be far better for hills.

JKJ

As of this morning, I just might hate the British the most if my 401K and retirement accounts take a signifnificant and long term hit!

As a high schooler, I worked a couple of summers with a house contractor. This was at a time when the contractors didn't have "subs", but had crews that did it all. I spent many days carrying shingles up onto roofs before there were such things as ladder lifts. I promised myself then that I would never do roofing again and I have been faithful to that promise. I built the house I live in in 1986 and I did most of the plumbing in the low crawl space. I swore that I would never do plumbing again. I haven't quite kept that rule because I do occasionally repair sinks and toilets but I hate crawling under the house and will never do rough-in plumbing again.

I hate fixing what I paid a contractor to do.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    As it relates to houses, painting. I actually preferred digging post holes by hand . . .
    I loathed the idea of replacing a post that rotted on or back deck, remembering how hard it was back in my early construction helper days with a spud bar and post hole diggers, and the resulting 20" DIA hole only for a 3.5 x 3.5 post, so I decided to make it fun. You need three things to make post hole digging fun, much less work, and straightwalled:
    1. The mother of all drills - a 1/2" Millwaukee Magnum
    2. 4 foot length of 1/2" rebar
    3. a decent shop vac

At the shop, I bent the end of the rebar into a flat topped question mark shape with my acetylene torch, then ground angles and a chisel tip into it creating an auger / drill tip.

Dug out the hole by hand til I hit hard pack clay/dirt (about a foot down), then went the rest of the way with the drill. It powered through the hardpack like a dream, and the shop vac sucked all the powdered dirt out in no time. The hole diameter was only about 9" DIA at 42" deep.

Now here is what I hate:

• Forgetting to put on my boots when welding, and hot steel balls of hellfire going right through my cheap shop shoes.
    • Forgetting to tape my ankles and overlapping the tape over my shoe, then cutting pallets with my chainsaw and my ankles itch all the rest of the day no matter how well I blow out my ankles with the airhose
    • scraping off uncured silicone after you realize that it was out of date and it never cured - totally hate that.

But this tops the list:
    Coming to the shop one morning only to discover that Bill Gates hijacked my computer that night and installed Windows 10 without my authorization!!! Then having to relearn EVERYTHING, losing all my favorites completely, etc etc. Google it - there articles about how they disguised the pop ups to appear like you can X out, but actually authorizes them to install it. I X'd out one afternoon really quickly like swatting a fly, didnt look hard enough, and actually ended up getting the upgrade.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

In woodworking it's sanding something somebody else made. As an employee I suffered some of it early on. But once I was beyond helper stage absolutely refused to do it. The most wretchedly lousy cabinets I've ever seen were made by a blow-hard working for a gullible boss. "I can put 'em together FAST all I need is a helper to do the sanding"

Poison ivy, yes yes.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    In woodworking it's sanding something somebody else made. As an employee I suffered some of it early on. But once I was beyond helper stage absolutely refused to do it. The most wretchedly lousy cabinets I've ever seen were made by a blow-hard working for a gullible boss. "I can put 'em together FAST all I need is a helper to do the sanding"
    I know a guy who has been the head maintenance man at several non-profit resident camps. They depend on volunteer help to do construction. He made a policy that if someone tapes drywall then they have to sand it themselves or not do it. He had volunteers put on drywall mud so thick he had to use a power sander to sand it.

He is now the ranger at a Boy Scout camp. The Boy Scout camp has tongue and groove wood in just about every building instead of drywall so no more worries about sanding drywall. (Boys in that age range could destroy drywall pretty easily and wood just looks nicer.)

I don't know how many fluorescent fixtures I installed that were hanging from a concrete ceiling but many times I said, "If, after I die, I find myself hanging fluorescent fixtures from a concrete ceiling, I'll know I ended up in hell."
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain