Thread: CNC training?

CNC training?

So how have most of you gotten to know your CNC machine and its capabilities? I'm still debating building vs. buying, but my first concern is getting to know the machine. I see there is a seminar in August a few hours away from me. So I guess the question would be, where is the best place to get some training before I jump into this head first? Online? Seminars?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Hi jeff,
    i think any seminar/training is a good idea before you get a machine. i attended jim mcgrews in SC a couple years before i bought one. although i had a pretty good grasp on how to run one, i learned alot about the ins and outs, about what i didnt know, about what i didnt know that i didnt know. it helped alot when it came time to buy it. not only was the training info great but the people that attended were a great resource. the more people who have cncs you talk to the better, everyone has there own take on things, preference in machine brands etc.
    I would also recommend visiting any shop that would allow you to hang out and watch and ask questions. you can learn alot in someone elses shop. again the more the better.
    Read the forums, this one, shopbot has a good one, camaster as well. shopsabre does not (thats what i have) but i was able to see a few of them run before i bought.
    Im a long way fron you (SW Wisconsin) but if your ever in the neighborhood stop in
    Chad
    Chad Fitzgerald
    Hickory Grove Cabinetry
    Custom Woodworking/Laser Engraving
    Laser Pro Spirit 40W
    ShopSabre RC4 CNC
    55x49 cut area
    with 3 1/4 PC Router, 10" Z

Built it from a kit, dug around to find everything I possibly could, scribbled down all my notes on a wiki for the Shapeoko.

Wound up getting a free machine in exchange for doing the SO2 instructions, then a free SO3 as a thank you.

Learning to run a CNC Router is mostly about learning to use the software. If you select the wrong software IMO the machine make or model might be of little concern. I think this is the reason that Vectric spends so much time and funds sponsoring Jim McGrew's Aspire event in South Carolina, their Internet Forum, lots of instructional videos, and their annual User Group Meetings. Vectric is directly engaged with the CNC Community and they listen to their customers which is why I'm a big fan of their products.

Companies that bundle software with their CNC hardware may or may not be the best choice if the software is either too difficult to learn to use or sub-par in performance. When your doing research keep this in mind. Learning to use your new CNC Router should be a pleasurable experience that isn't so difficult that it becomes so frustrating that your router ends up an expensive paper weight. Training information should be a big part of the manufacturers sales pitch, if they don't have what you need to help you get started they are a poor choice. There are others but ShopBot and CAMaster are both major supporters of Vectric software for a very good reason. All three of these companies are serious about training new operators.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-23-2016 at 8:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Learning to run a CNC Router is mostly about learning to use the software. If you select the wrong software IMO the machine make or model might be of little concern. I think this is the reason that Vectric spends so much time and funds sponsoring Jim McGrew's Aspire event in South Carolina, their Internet Forum, lots of instructional videos, and their annual User Group Meetings. Vectric is directly engaged with the CNC Community and they listen to their customers which is why I'm a big fan of their products.

Companies that bundle software with their CNC hardware may or may not be the best choice if the software is either too difficult to learn to use or sub-par in performance. When your doing research keep this in mind. Learning to use your new CNC Router should be a pleasurable experience that isn't so difficult that it becomes so frustrating that your router ends up an expensive paper weight. Training information should be a big part of the manufacturers sales pitch, if they don't have what you need to help you get started they are a poor choice. There are others but ShopBot and CAMaster are both major supporters of Vectric software for a very good reason. All three of these companies are serious about training new operators.
    So Keith, what software do you recommend starting with. I have visited the Vectric website, I see they offer quite a few products. I'm mainly interested in cutting cabinet parts, sign making and some various parts for custom furniture.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

"Sign making" covers a very large range. V-Carve Pro may do what you want, or if you want to create 3D relief carvings, you would probably want to look at Aspire.
    For cabinet parts, I'd recommend a dedicated cabinet program, if you'll be doing large quantities.

I'd download the demo of V-Carve Pro, and start learning how to use it.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    So Keith, what software do you recommend starting with. I have visited the Vectric website, I see they offer quite a few products. I'm mainly interested in cutting cabinet parts, sign making and some various parts for custom furniture.

Jeff,

My first CNC software purchase was VCarve Pro and I really liked the program. About a year later Aspire came out and initially I didn't see any reason to upgrade. In time I decided to upgrade VCarve Pro to Aspire just for the additional design tools not for the upgrade in machining capability. At the time Vectric reduced the price of Aspire by the price of VCarve Pro so I was not penalized for starting out with the less expensive program. Over the years I have never dreaded paying for the annual upgrades for Aspire, in fact every one has been a real bargain based on what I considered major improvements to the program and often mid-year free updates with plenty of new features.

I'm one of the CNC operators who struggles with software, its just not my cup of tea. So I was happy to find software that was easy to learn to use and still provided the functionality I needed for sign work and general machining.

Jeff...
    I am one of the presenters at the CNC Seminar in River Falls, WI, so please understand that I have skin in the game. If you are serious about adding CNC to your skillset then I would recommend the following:

Download the trial version of VCarve Pro. Spend time watching the tutorial videos and practicing with the software to hone your skills. The trial versions are fully functional, with the exception of generation of cut files, which you don't need. Most any branded CNC sold in the US comes with a Vectric product and once you own one, you will be able to put to use your files designed on the trial version. Vectric's support site has some info of general use to those new to CNC, look it over.

Vectric software is one the easiest CAD/CAM suites to learn. They offer products that are price appropriate for any range of machine, with features that are a value for the price. They also have a generous upgrade policy that allows a product upgrade with little or no financial penalty. The full versions of each title are preloaded with a more than generous amount of 2D and 3D clipart and models. If needed, and purchased alone, the model prices exceed that of the software.

Like many, you may be able to become proficient with the tutorial material. If not, attend one of the Seminars put on by Michael Mezalick and myself. We have a curriculum that extends and enhances the material that comes with the software. It is presented in woodworker/sign maker language with information of value for the novice and experienced alike. There will also be information that may help you decide what size or type of machine you would like to purchase. There is a downloadable class agenda that explains the topics that will be covered in the "Announcements" section of this forum.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Thanks for the great info. Gary I have looked at your class agenda. I am very interested in attending, but as you could understand having no experience makes me wonder if this would all be over my head at this point.

Jeff...
    The majority of us started with zero knowledge on the day our machines arrived. We most likely made our purchase decision with the same or less knowledge. One of the unadvertised benefits of gatherings such as this is the ability to network with other users. Talk with a couple dozen users and have them explain what they did right, or wrong. Get real world input on the machines they purchased and the companies that produce them.

These seminars are unbranded and as such, there will be almost as many brands represented as there are attendees. You might spend a few hundred dollars that in the long run saved you thousands by your making a better purchasing decision.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

You can learn a ton via the internet. Legacy CNC woodworking machines has hundred of video both varying skills and projects. They have both flat, 3 D and rotational carving video. Legacy also have a network of associate that provide customer training as well as there own free 2 day factory training with any of their CNC machines. Checkout https://www.youtube.com/user/legacywoodworking Also contacting Legacy http://www.legacycncwoodworking.com/ will get you connected with a machine owner who will give you demo of the CNC operations.