Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tools! How much can you sell a kidney for?

New Tools! How much can you sell a kidney for?

My workbench is nearly complete. My birthday is next week. I'm trying to buy happiness. I thought I'd share my recent tool purchases.

My Veritas custom #7 and the skew planes are gifts from the girlfriend. She's great and I should marry her, but I asked her to pick out the better chisel between my Blue Spruce and a Narex...

I haven't gotten the Veritas NX60 yet, but I'm still hopeful.

I wanted to hold different brands of chisels, so I got a 1/2" blue spruce bench chisel, and a LN 1/4".

I got my second Auriou rasp. This is a 6" modeler's rasp.

Couple Glen Drake Tite marks.

Sterling toolworks and a Chris Vesper dovetail square.

Fancy French nails. They've already been very condescending, so I think they are real.

David Charlesworth in a box.

In a few months I may be able to afford some lumber, so that is exciting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Buy the lumber now and stop buying tools until you figure what you need.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    That's pretty good advice

Of course, if you have messed around enough to know what tools you actually need, then it's probably a good investment. I have been on both sides of the equation, and trying to do things without a few decent tools for the job can be an exercise in frustration for sure. But, that's when you know what will be a good investment for you, given that you have put enough time in to know how to best use and set up your existing tools.

On occasion, I've found that with more knowledge and experience my cheap tools were better functioning than I originally realized. On other occasions (especially as with cheap planes, and in some cases saws), I discovered that the tool was merely designed to frustrate its users. And in other cases, you can do without a particular tool, but said tool is a wonderful convenience to have, granted, not necessary.

In two of those three occasions, one might be better served buying wood up front, and saving the tools for later.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 06-23-2016 at 3:19 PM.

My comments tend to be tongue in cheek. I think you tend to offer very practical advice though, and I'm definitely overspending my skill level at this time.

The only downside with pro quality tools is if you wind up with less than stellar results you have only yourself to blame.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    She's great and I should marry her
    If you don't someone else may try.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Now, now . . . some people enjoy this hobby by "getting ready" to make something. I know people on forums that have been "getting ready" for years, have never made a thing and are perfectly happy. Man, do their shops stay clean ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Now, now . . . some people enjoy this hobby by "getting ready" to make something. I know people on forums that have been "getting ready" for years, have never made a thing and are perfectly happy. Man, do their shops stay clean ;-)

If you have a lot of FWW back issues, look up an old article called "Cousin Fred's Wonderful Woodworking Shop," FWW Issue #55, December, 1985.
    Last edited by Bruce Haugen; 06-24-2016 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Now, now . . . some people enjoy this hobby by "getting ready" to make something. ;-)
    First I buy the books, then the tools, then I use them! But I do get around to using them.
    A couple guys in my WW club kidded me about that, but an old-timer told me "Don't listen to them. Buy the tools while you're working."
    AKA - "The human termite"

Blog Entries
    I tend to purchase tools as they come along if the money is also at hand. Most of the time I have a project in mind.

My tool purchases are of two basic kinds; tools that will help in my endeavors and tools that I know can be sold for more than what they will cost. Though these days I am not as much in the restore and sale mode as I used to be.

It isn't often I buy new tools other than small drill bits, driver bits and such as needed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Why not buy tools? I've been buying them for years, and probably will continue to do so. Stick to your own plan and be happy. BTW, congrats on getting the nice new tools! I am hoping my titemark shows up as I go through the boxes from the great of move of 2013. Just got my workbench set back up today!

Allen

Blog Entries
    Why not buy tools?
    Because my wallet is empty from spending all my money on tools.

jtk

My Veritas NX60 gets lots of use. It's a fine tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Cooper Louisiana View Post
    My workbench is nearly complete. My birthday is next week. I'm trying to buy happiness. I thought I'd share my recent tool purchases.

My Veritas custom #7 and the skew planes are gifts from the girlfriend. She's great and I should marry her, but I asked her to pick out the better chisel between my Blue Spruce and a Narex...

I haven't gotten the Veritas NX60 yet, but I'm still hopeful.

I wanted to hold different brands of chisels, so I got a 1/2" blue spruce bench chisel, and a LN 1/4".

I got my second Auriou rasp. This is a 6" modeler's rasp.

Couple Glen Drake Tite marks.

Sterling toolworks and a Chris Vesper dovetail square.

Fancy French nails. They've already been very condescending, so I think they are real.

David Charlesworth in a box.

In a few months I may be able to afford some lumber, so that is exciting.
    Tim, you have made really excellent purchases, and these tools will last a lifetime. I have many of them (OK, all ), and would buy them again.

Your goal now is to forget how much you paid, and use them as the tools they are - not protect them as if they were some precious jewellery.

For myself, there is a real bonus in using great tools in a build, but the biggest thrill comes from the journey with any handtool, and the satisfaction when looking back from the destination reached.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Tim, you have made really excellent purchases, and these tools will last a lifetime. I have many of them (OK, all ), and would buy them again.

Your goal now is to forget how much you paid, and use them as the tools they are - not protect them as if they were some precious jewellery.

For myself, there is a real bonus in using great tools in a build, but the biggest thrill comes from the journey with any handtool, and the satisfaction when looking back from the destination reached.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    i appreciate the sentiment. I made my decisions based on advice from this forum, and figured I would share. I find it humorous that a couple of years ago, I would have laughed at the idea of using hand tools. I was trying to explain it to a friend the other day..I think that the feeling and beauty of taking a really good shaving with a plane is my second favorite "hobby" sensation. It may not ever surpass a perfect golf shot, but I can't afford to be a golfer and a woodworker. Giving up golf is an easier decision than I thought it would be. 😄