Thread: Simple QSWO picture frame (w/pics)

Simple QSWO picture frame (w/pics)

Hello everyone,

I started tonight on a simple quatersawn white oak picture frame for an oil painting on canvas I picked up in Cuba over Christmas.

I had to make a new frame to stretch the canvas over, (it was removed from the frame for transport)

Just a simple soft maple frame pocket screwed together.

I had some quarter sawn white oak I picked up a while ago and decided to make the actual picture from from it,

Here it is in clamps, about 1.75" wide, #10 biscuits at the corners. You can see the part of the biscuits protruding into the frame itself. They will be trimmed later and not seen.

Here is a pic of sanding the entire frame flush with 240 grit,

I stretched the canvas over the maple frame and secured it with tacks,

I don't speak Spanish, but this tag was on the back of the canvas. I had to pay $2.00 for this tag in order to take it out of Cuba,

Here I am making the rebate in the back of the QSWO frame for the picture to fit into,

Not the best shot, but here I am squaring up the rounded corners of the rebate so the picture will fit in,

Part Two...

Here is a test fit of the picture in the frame. You can see the simple edge bead I put on the frame. Very simple, but I think nice,

Now for the scary part,

I plan to fume this QSWO frame with blueprint ammonia. This is not for the faint of heart, many safety precautions need to be taken, this stuff is dangerous. I am wearing an organic airfilter, googles and heavy acid gloves.

You can see the frame in a garbage can on a supporting frame. There is a glass pie plate in there onto which I will pour a pint or two of ammonia.

I put a garbage bag over the top (now side) of the garbage can to act as a gasket and I put the top on. It is well sealed now, as the lid was
    tough to put on. I will leave the frame in there to fume for between 24-48 hours. I expect the frame to turn a dark chocolate brown, but the ray flecks of the QSWO to remain light and luminescent, unlike the muddiness they would take on if the fram was stained.

More pics in a few days when I take the frame out of the fuming chamber,

David.

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine, I'm him.

David,

Wow! I like the bead on the frame and a nice painting as well.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the fumed frame.

Pete

Nice frame and documentation of the process. That last picture though, thought maybe the amonia got the better of you, that you dissolved and went down the grotto, your protective gear the only things left.
    Glad to hear that wasn't the case. Will be looking for the resutls.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

David,

I really like the bead as well, it is a nice accent. I haven't yet ventured into picture frames yet, but hopefully someday! Nice job!!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

You tag reads as follows:
    http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/exporttag.jpg

National Register of Cultural Goods
    of the Cuban Republic

Ministry of Culture

OFFICIAL STAMP

Basically you paid for a cultural export stamp since it is art work. Every time I head over to Spain to visit my family I always stock up on cigars and rum. Too bad I can't bring it into the US
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Hi David,

Beautiful job on the frame. I would like to know what brand of drum sander are you using in the pictures? And how does it work for you, any problems tuning it?
    Thanks,
    Rye Crane

David,
    Great looking painting and frame. I agree with the other guys that the "bead" really looks good.
    Thanks for letting us see all the pictures...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Rye Crane
    I would like to know what brand of drum sander are you using in the pictures? And how does it work for you, any problems tuning it?
    It is a Performax SuperMax 25. I bought it used a couple of years ago. It is a 25" single drum, 5hp, USA made sander.

From what I understand, the WMH Tool Group (Powermatic, Jet, Performax, etc.) has stopped making them and someone else has bought the rights to make them.

Alignment is very easy. You simply disconnect one side of the up/down mechanism and adjust the other until it is parallel, then reconnect it.

David.

David: Did you post any pictures of the Fumed Quatersawn White Oak?
    just wondering because I was thinking of fumeing my dresser and wanted to see your results.
    Don't worry, I have a sealed off paint room in another building I can use for fumeing. I have fumed Old growth white pine to age it, where I machined the edges
    Ouch that splinter hurt

Veddy, veddy nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Devery
    David: Did you post any pictures of the Fumed Quatersawn White Oak?
    just wondering because I was thinking of fumeing my dresser and wanted to see your results.
    Don't worry, I have a sealed off paint room in another building I can use for fumeing. I have fumed Old growth white pine to age it, where I machined the edges
    Thanks for the interest!

Here is a shot of it hanging in my living room,

The finish was turp thinned BLO followed by sprayed super blonde dewaxed shellac and rubbed out.

Turned out fine for my first picture frame.

Take care,

David.