Thread: Tool shopping in Japan (mostly Tokyo and some Kyoto)

Tool shopping in Japan (mostly Tokyo and some Kyoto)

We will be going to Japan for a week in several weeks. So, naturally I would like to use this as an opportunity to do some tool shopping. We will e there for about a week, so I will have 3-4 hours to dedicate to tools. Other than some Japanese handsaws (from Lee Valley) I have never had or used Japanese chisels, planes or other tools. I am not looking for artisan blacksmiths that make chisels with a 2 year waiting time. I am more interested in tools that are the equivalent of Veritas, Lie Nielsen, etc or perhaps slightly lower that I can buy from a store.

So, what are some good stores I can go in (or around) Tokyo and Kyoto?

Blog Entries
    You might try contacting Stu at > http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This question gets asked regularly. Please learn how to use the search function.

The largest and perhaps oldest remaining tools store in Tokyo (once the largest tool store in Japan) is Suiheiya Shoten, located not far from the Kaminarimon in Asakusa, the most visited tourist attraction in Japan.

The address in Japanese is below.

〒111-0031 東京都台東区千束1丁目1−3電話:03-3875-0292

1-1-3 Senzoko, Taito-ku, Tokyo

Show this to a taxi driver, or enter it into your iPhone maps or Google Maps app.

Their English sucks, and they have little patience for amateurs (famous for a sour attitude but great tools). This is a store catering to pros.

Another choice is Tsuchida Hamonten, run by Noboru Tsuchida, a great guy. His English is not good, but he sells only quality tools intended for professionals.

住所: 〒154-0024 東京都世田谷区三軒茶屋2丁目16−13

Tel:03-3421-6979

Address 2-16-13 Sangenjaya, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo

A very small shop, and not easy to find. Excellent tools at reasonable prices, typically less than Suiheiya.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    This question gets asked regularly. Please learn how to use the search function.

The largest and perhaps oldest remaining tools store in Tokyo (once the largest tool store in Japan) is Suiheiya Shoten, located not far from the Kaminarimon in Asakusa, the most visited tourist attraction in Japan.

The address in Japanese is below.

〒111-0031 東京都台東区千束1丁目1−3電話:03-3875-0292

1-1-3 Senzoko, Taito-ku, Tokyo

Show this to a taxi driver, or enter it into your iPhone maps or Google Maps app.

Their English sucks, and they have little patience for amateurs (famous for a sour attitude but great tools). This is a store catering to pros.
    Funny story about this place. I just visited this shop yesterday at the end of a trip to Japan. I went there with my wife and daughter, both native japanese speakers. As we approached the place, the owner was outside washing the windows. He noticeably stiffened as we walked towards his shop. We got a death stare as we entered, and the person I assume is his wife behind the counter look absolutely panicked. The owner continued to stare at us in the shop but did not say a word. The shop is very crowded and not well setup for browsing. I looked around a bit, and he obviously stocks some very nice tools. I even found a small stack of nice and expensive natural sharpening stones. I was surprised to find he is very well stocked in mini and profile planes. There are some expensive planes in a small display case, and there looks to be lots of stuff in the 2nd floor stockroom. I happened to find lying in a pile, two bags of chisel steel hoops, in the same style as chisels I am trying to restore. I also picked up a Matsui two blade kebiki for a very reasonable price. We paid (cash only of course) and left.

As Stanley says, the shop caters to professionals - I definitely did not look the part. It will also probably help if you know what you want before getting there.

I have only been to one tool store in Japan - Ishikawa Hardware Pro Tool. Probably 1 1/2 to 2 hours from Kyoto station, located in Okayama prefecture. I met the owners wife that day, and she was very welcoming a patient, though she speaks no english. They had a good selection of planes, chisels, and other items. They will let you try out some planes and sharpening stones. There is a website with more information - http://www.e-kanamonoya.jp

David
    Last edited by David Wong; 06-24-2016 at 5:52 PM. Reason: added information

Quote Originally Posted by David Wong View Post
    Funny story about this place. I just visited this shop yesterday at the end of a trip to Japan. I went there with my wife and daughter, both native japanese speakers. As we approached the place, the owner was outside washing the windows. He noticeably stiffened as we walked towards his shop. We got a death stare as we entered, and the person I assume is his wife behind the counter look absolutely panicked. The owner continued to stare at us in the shop but did not say a word. The shop is very crowded and not well setup for browsing. I looked around a bit, and he obviously stocks some very nice tools. I even found a small stack of nice and expensive natural sharpening stones. I was surprised to find he is very well stocked in mini and profile planes. There are some expensive planes in a small display case, and there looks to be lots of stuff in the 2nd floor stockroom. I happened to find lying in a pile, two bags of chisel steel hoops, in the same style as chisels I am trying to restore. I also picked up a Matsui two blade kebiki for a very reasonable price. We paid (cash only of course) and left.

As Stanley says, the shop caters to professionals - I definitely did not look the part. It will also probably help if you know what you want before getting there.

I have only been to one tool store in Japan - Ishikawa Hardware Pro Tool. Probably 1 1/2 to 2 hours from Kyoto station, located in Okayama prefecture. I met the owners wife that day, and she was very welcoming a patient, though she speaks no english. They had a good selection of planes, chisels, and other items. They will let you try out some planes and sharpening stones. There is a website with more information - http://www.e-kanamonoya.jp

David
    As I read your post, David, I could clearly imagine the look on his face as you approached the store.

I have been buying tools from Suiheiya for a very long time, since I as a student over here. Back in the 80's, the Old Man owned and ran the store, and he too gave me that same dirty look everytime. Back then, it was a 2 story wooden building, and little more open without the high steel shelving.

I remember buying a 2-cho shiragaki (2 bladed marking knife) by Kiyotada from him one time. He didn't want to sell it to me (I suppose he had a hard time getting Shimamura san to make the difficult tool for him), and to convince him, I had to explain what I was going to use it for and who had sent me. He finally sold it to me, but he concluded the transaction with a comment something like: "What a waste... you'll never be able to learn how to do kumikozaiku." Of course, I did learn the art, and still have the tool. I knew from previous experience that he was a sour puss, and only went to Suiheiya because he was the only one that had the tool in stock anywhere.

The fellow you saw, David, was his son. I have seldom spoken with him, and with one exception, he has always pointedly ignored me, even though he knows I read, write and speak Japanese as well or better than he does. After the Old man passed away, he inherited the store, and ran it for many decades along with his cousin, a much pleasanter fellow who also specialized in the high-end hand tools. This gentlemen, while not talkative, was at least polite and helpful.

The longest conversation I ever had with the current owner was about a year ago when I went to the store to buy a molding plane, and he informed me his cousin had died suddenly of cancer. He almost cried. That was a sad day for me. Anyway, that is what it takes for him to speak kind words to a foreigner, even when that foreigner has spent thousands of dollars over decades in his store.

The woman is not his wife, but another cousin, as I understand the relationship.

In any case, My first choice for tools in Tokyo is Tsuchida san. Suiheiya is where I go when he is out of stock, and I need a tool right away.

Suiheiya is closed Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays. It shuts its doors at 4:30 in the afternoon. I don't expect it to remain in business for many more years.

Tsuchida san is open until 7:00PM, and is only closed on Wednesdays. Much friendlier and helpful.

You really need to know what you want before you go to either of these stores. At Suiheiya, planes and some chisels are behind glass cases so you can point, but Tsuchida's place is very tiny and the actual tools are in boxes in back, or upstairs in storage space and out of view.

Stan

Stan, I always enjoy the stories you tell about your experiences in Japan. I can almost see the guys at the tool store, the shelves, their faces, etc. I could read a dozen in a night and not get bored.

Have you ever considered writing a book about them?

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 06-24-2016 at 8:52 PM.

Thanks for the background Stanley.

I am reminded that the owner did speak, but not to me. My daughter wanted to wait outside the shop when she saw how crowded it was. The owner at that point was still outside, and my daughter told me later that he splashed water on the front walk and ordered her to go inside the shop.

I am asian, and my wife was speaking japanese to my daughter as we approached the shop. I think I can conclude that his judgement of my unworthiness had nothing to do with me being a foreigner. Besides my middle-aged yuppie appearance, the large Muji shopping bag I was carrying was probably a dead giveaway.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Stan, I always enjoy the stories you tell about your experiences in Japan. I can almost see the guys at the tool store, the shelves, their faces, etc. I could read a dozen in a night and not get bored.

Have you ever considered writing a book about them?

Fred
    Thanks, Fred. As Jimmy Durante said "I gotta a million of 'em." But I doubt there would be much interest in such a book outside of tool fiends like me and thee.

Stan

Stanley, thank you for the recommendations. If I understand correctly, these are not the type of stores that I can go in, browse through at my own pace and pick up a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    Stanley, thank you for the recommendations. If I understand correctly, these are not the type of stores that I can go in, browse through at my own pace and pick up a few things.
    Frank:

I think you could go into Suiheiya and browse with no problems. But the good tools likes planes, saws, and chisels are behind glass, and you will need to ask to handle them. And the people in the store will probably not be up to the task of answering questions. Heck, I can hardly get answers from that guy, and I have been in his store a hundred times.

Stan