Thread: Exterior Finish Recommendations

Exterior Finish Recommendations

I am nearing completion of a wheeled patio cart made of white oak and am tying to figure out the best way to finish it. It will be outside but in a mostly protected screened in porch. I'd like a natural finish, but I'd rather have a good protective finish, even if it means a bit more color.

I was thinking of using a penetrating oil like Penofin, but wondered if anyone had any better suggestions?

Patrick, I would use an oil such as Penofin. Sure, you have to re-apply it periodically but you will never get white patches of moisture under a plastic finish as happens too often outdoors. I plan to build a similar function trolley for my wife, I just need to build the patio first... Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Patrick I have a white oak bench finished with Penofin and it turned black from mold quickly. I understand its a common problem with WO, so not sure if the oil contributes to the problem or not.

I have had very good outdoor results with Sikkens Cetol.

That doesn't surprise me if it was directly exposed to the weather. I don't think oil finishes will prevent the tannins in white oak from reacting with water and turning grey/black, nor prevent mold, etc. from growing. I think the only finish that will keep WO from turning grey/black is a film forming one, like spar varnish. Epifanes Marine Varnish is an excellent one. As long as you seal every surface, and are willing to do the maintenance it requires, it will look good for a very long time, especially with the conditions the OP described.

John

Another vote for Epifanes Marine Varnish. Boat supply or online to get it.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I'm thinking I'll go with Epifanes - from the research I've done it seems like the best and it doesn't sound like the Penofin will keep it looking very nice. Hopefully the upkeep won't be too bad since it will be somewhat sheltered and not in direct sun or directly exposed to the elements. There are a lot of slats, so finishing it will be kind of a bear :/ oh well!

Just to update people - I ended up using Penofin clear hardwood formula. After considering the epifanes and other film finishes I decided they would be too difficult to apply and maintain. I'll try to update with pics again in a year or two so people can see how it holds up, but here is the finished product:
    IMG_0970_zpsoetg3s7h.jpgIMG_0971-1_zpsxrswr7dl.jpg