Thread: Turned a bowl today

Turned a bowl today

Took a class last Friday in Spokane to learn to turn bowls, so decided to practice today and see if I could do it myself. It will most likely crack as I did it to finish instead of roughing it out and letting it dry, but wanted to see if I could do it. It is not fancy, but turned out okay.2016-06-23 13.51.58_resized.jpg2016-06-23 13.52.50_resized.jpg

Michael,

Nice looking bowl. What is size and wood? How green was wood? Looks like you got basics down.

You actually have a good chance of it not cracking... If it's green it will almost certainly warp, but a lot of times they won't crack as they do.

If the stamps are an indicator of the size of the bowl, maybe 6 inches max, then that one should dry with some warping, but will most likely not crack. Keep it out of sun, wind, and heat (like the inside of a closed car in hot summer sun), and it will be fine. Nice!

robo hippy

Nice bowl and a good job turning it. I too doubt it will crack but may warp a little.

Great job!!!!

Beautiful bowl, Michael! Good job, you've really got something to be proud of here, and a momentum from which you can build. The bowl has a nice shape to it, and the detail you put in the recess looks awesome. People will pick that bowl up to look at the bottom, and when they do, you get to just watch the look on their face as you give them a pleasant surprise!

I also like the wood grain--particularly the contrast between the late wood and early wood. Do you know what type of wood this is?

As others have noted, as long as you were far enough from the pith, it probably won't crack, and the more it warps the cooler it will be.

Looks like someone was paying attention in class. Nice job Michael. Keep it up.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

It is walnut that I bought off ebay.