Thread: Got Bug Poop?

Got Bug Poop?

On a practice piece I was trying to howling out from firewood, I hit Mr worm on a log of madrone.
    A few spots of worm poop.
    How should I handle it ?
    Remember, this is just for fun and to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bailey View Post
    On a practice piece I was trying to howling out from firewood, I hit Mr worm on a log of madrone.
    A few spots of worm poop.
    How should I handle it ?
    Remember, this is just for fun and to learn.
    Lots of options... I generally clean the hole out and then either leave it or fill it (epoxy, sawdust and CA, or coffee and CA). On one occasion I just put a healthy dose of CA into the frass and left it!

The bug poop is pretty soft, so if you sand and finish it, the poop will be somewhat dished out by the sand paper. Aaron has good suggestions. It is also practical to use Tite bond and a filler (sawdust or coffee, etc.). CA is usually harder than the wood so it can be a bit more of a challenge to sand out and get everything level.

I've been experimenting with turquoise colored fillers. For small bug holes, it doesn't look right. I think that it looks better with larger voids.

Well, I think it is called 'frass'. Easiest way to get it out is with a pressure washer. Next comes dental picks and patience. Air hose does work a little. You can flood it with thin CA glue, and maybe chase with a bit of medium to fill on top of the thin. Seems like when I decide to glue, some holes fall out. If I decide to remove, then a few will come out easy, but the rest are a pain, so most of the time it is mix and match.

You hit Mr. Worm big??? I cut one in half or so once and CA glued the rest of him in place..... Sick I know, but it helped sell the piece.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Well, I think it is called 'frass'. Easiest way to get it out is with a pressure washer. Next comes dental picks and patience. Air hose does work a little. You can flood it with thin CA glue, and maybe chase with a bit of medium to fill on top of the thin. Seems like when I decide to glue, some holes fall out. If I decide to remove, then a few will come out easy, but the rest are a pain, so most of the time it is mix and match.

You hit Mr. Worm big??? I cut one in half or so once and CA glued the rest of him in place..... Sick I know, but it helped sell the piece.

robo hippy
    I'm laughing so hard about that one... glued him in place!?!?? I suppose it's not sicker than stabilizing the bug poop with CA, though...

I've found alive worms. It amazies me they are still alive after spinning around at 1200 RPM or so..... I glued the entire worm in. So upset finding him in there...... I was still roughing, so I did rough him out...... As far as the frass, I like to keep hitting it with CA as you rough, the colors "match" in my opinion. I also tried the above solutions..... They all work.
    Actually, I have not left the actual worm in a bowl. Yet. LOL.

Frass, got it.
    Dose sound more scientific than bug poop.

Reed, he was a big one Id say about 3/8 around and 1'' long.
    Well that was what was left of him.

I'll play around with some this weekend.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Frass, got it.
    Dose sound more scientific than bug poop....
    I don't know what the real etymology is, but I've heard it joked that the word is a portmanteau "from" and... well... I think you can figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Craven View Post
    I don't know what the real etymology is, but I've heard it joked that the word is a portmanteau "from" and... well... I think you can figure it out.

Nope,
    had to look that one up.
    Definition of portmanteau

plural portmanteaus

or portmanteaux

play \-(ˌ)tōz\
    • 1 : a large suitcase
    • 2 : a word or morpheme whose form and meaning are derived from a blending of two or more distinct forms (as smog from smoke and fog)

Nope,
    had to look that one up.
    Definition of portmanteau

plural portmanteaus

or portmanteaux

play \-(ˌ)tōz\
    • 1 : a large suitcase
    • 2 : a word or morpheme whose form and meaning are derived from a blending of two or more distinct forms (as smog from smoke and fog)

Right... so "from" and ... rhymes with "grass"

I'm surprised nobody picked up on the real issue here. Rick has madrone in his firewood pile!

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Ramsey View Post
    I'm surprised nobody picked up on the real issue here. Rick has madrone in his firewood pile!

Yep,
    With bug poop in it.