Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shouldn't this be dead flat?

Millersburg (Holmes County - Amish Country) Ohio

Shouldn't this be dead flat?

I got my Bosch GCM12SD gliding miter saw and my table doesn’t seem straight/flat.
    Is there anything I can do about this? And won’t this throw my end cut off from 90 degrees?
    see here: https://youtu.be/Doeo9ArCULY

If this is a new saw I would contact Bosch for resolution. I would say it could throw your cuts off from 90 degrees.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Brian I just checked my Bosch glide it's 3or4 years old and it's not dead flat.My high spot is at the widest part of the round table.
    The inset that came with my saw was never flush with the top and I have a wooden insert.
    Getting good square cuts do depends on me to pull or push the handle straight and consistent.
    I also have the best chop saw blade money can buy Forrest chop master.
    Hope this helps good luck.

Aj

Brian, I agree with George. My eldest son bought a Bosch here in Tasmania and they couldn't offer a solution so he exchanged it for another brand. Cheers

I went through three with that problem when they were first introduced deciding to pass on one even at $489. This was when they were first introduced and I assumed they finally solved the issues.

Welcome to the world of no quality control. I don't own a Bosch for a similar reason, both sides of the fence were milled offset from one another, and not square to table. To be fair, Bosch did take it back, and refund my money which I reinvested in another brand.

Wow, I was quite shocked to see this. My first thought was it must be designed into the saw. I check my DW miter saw and the entire deck is perfectly flat.

My thinking is they assume you are using infeed/outfeed supports or have the saw installed in a bench so by making the wings slightly lower the material won't hang when sliding into position for a cut. Any material 16" or less you will be holding down on the main part of the table.

I still don't like it.

If it were me, I'd be on the phone to Bosch.

The table is low so the opposite issue that Robert was mentioning. If you assume the wing is flat and perpendicular to the blade, then the work would be unsupported at the cut if you keep it level. Guess how well that works to make a smooth cut.
    BTW, this is the same issue that a friend had with his new Makita xx16 saws, which is why he paid me more than that for my used 1214, where the entire table is one piece so it can't have this problem. It basically had a large table and no wings.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 06-25-2016 at 9:20 AM.

Oh darn now I feel like I've been using a defective saw. All my cuts could have been better.
    At least now I can blame all my bad crown molding cuts on the saw.

Blog Entries
    As mentioned, you will need to compensate for that on every cut. For a tool in that price range I would not want to do that. Chop saws are great for decent cuts in a portable package. Laptops are great, lightweight and portable but, this benefit comes at a cost in money and loss of full-sized features. I don't know what kind of work you are doing but, an SCMS is not inexpensive and I would make sure that a portable job-site tool is the right choice. If you are doing a lot of cuts on long, thin stock the SCMS is the right tool type. The particular one you show in the video is not however.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would be interested in determining the plane of the entire table; miter carriage and wings, not just one side. It may simply be that the carriage is out of alignment with the wings; tilted left to right. You may be able to bring it into alignment, but you'll likely have to loosen the center bolt in the carriage and possibly separate the carriage from the table.

If it's a new saw, I would let Bosch figure it out.

Just get one of these. Pretty sure it'll be flat and square.

http://hoffmann-usa.com/machinery/om...sion-miter-saw

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Just get one of these. Pretty sure it'll be flat and square.

http://hoffmann-usa.com/machinery/om...sion-miter-saw
    Nice machine. Probably not a realistic solution for the average hobbyist woodworker.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Millersburg (Holmes County - Amish Country) Ohio
    Well I took it in to my local Bosch service center.
    What was funny/sad was that I went out to the floor where they had the exact same model and it was the same way. In fact I checked lots of miter saws they had and all of them weren't flat.
    They guy helping me didn't know what to say when I showed him their brand new model was off as well.
    They took it and said the guy who normally looks at that kind of thing won't be in until Monday. So....
    I would love to have my $600 back if I could. But I certainly can't afford a $5000 saw!

I want to make small fine furniture, dresser side tables, etc, boxes, frames. I've tried making 4 crosscut sleds for my TS and for some reason can't get them close enough to where I need them.

It is dead straight when I stretch the bar across to the other side, but all that tells me is that the high on that side evens out the high on the left side. I checked the right side as well and it to rocks back and fourth.
    It appears to me, that the wings are lower, so maybe my solution would be to build an extension and match it with the inner round bed. That actually might work, why wouldn't it? I believe someone mentioned that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Brian I just checked my Bosch glide it's 3or4 years old and it's not dead flat.My high spot is at the widest part of the round table.
    The inset that came with my saw was never flush with the top and I have a wooden insert.
    Getting good square cuts do depends on me to pull or push the handle straight and consistent.
    I also have the best chop saw blade money can buy Forrest chop master.
    Hope this helps good luck.

Aj
    If I understand this correctly, wouldn't an insert that stands proud of the rotating table but level with the wing tables solve the problem?

Not saying a new saw should be that way, but if you want a 4 year old saw to work, well there's a way.