Thread: I like this plane

Thumbs up I like this plane

I used my LVLA rabbet Jack again yesterday as I do more often than I thought I would. I used it to cut this rabbet no fence. I find it easier to use the fence but with the long nose it's easy to start in a gauge line. I also use it as a jack sometimes when using my regular jack on the shooting board. No blade camber but just jack work anyway. I guess if you needed to you could put the fence on it and use it for edge jointing if you have trouble squaring. Oh and I'm not connected to LV other than a customer.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I used it to cut this rabbet no fence. I find it easier to use the fence but with the long nose it's easy to start in a gauge line.
    I think that is considered 'the old school way' of making a rabbet.

Great work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This is a tool that I'd like to buy for quite some time but it seems that I can always manage without it. Looks great!

Normand

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I think that is considered 'the old school way' of making a rabbet.

Great work.

jtk
    x
    I know it's old school for sure. Made enough with wood planes and shoulder planes. I guess I'm just impressed with how agile this plane is for its size. I used it a good bit now (two years) still like it. It has 4 set screws also that help keep the blade in check if you hit a hard spot. My 78 clone could go wonky on me on a small knot.
    Jim

Jim and all

It is a good plane ... a genuine Jack of all Trades ... Swiss Knife ...

For those who did not read the review I wrote, here is the link:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...bbetPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Normand Leblanc View Post
    This is a tool that I'd like to buy for quite some time but it seems that I can always manage without it. Looks great!

Normand
    I debated on it for a while, had lots of ways to work without it, 78s, shoulder planes, rabbet planes, 45. I have used this plane for almost all except really small, like 2".
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Jim and all

It is a good plane ... a genuine Jack of all Trades ... Swiss Knife ...

For those who did not read the review I wrote, here is the link:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...bbetPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek I believe I've read all you have on your page. Your write ups on bevel up planes convinced me to try them. I have a really bad back, spinal cord stimulator, and need to push planes straight up. That center of effort thing is real. My bench is high, elbow height. I get so low on the planes that I occasionally cut my forearm on the board edge. Thanks for your efforts along these lines.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    I used my LVLA rabbet Jack again yesterday as I do more often than I thought I would. I used it to cut this rabbet no fence. I find it easier to use the fence but with the long nose it's easy to start in a gauge line. I also use it as a jack sometimes when using my regular jack on the shooting board. No blade camber but just jack work anyway. I guess if you needed to you could put the fence on it and use it for edge jointing if you have trouble squaring. Oh and I'm not connected to LV other than a customer.
    Jim
    I like that plane (and the slightly smaller 10-1/4) a lot. I've had good luck using both with a batten, and actually prefer that to the fence.