Glad to hear it worked out OK. I use a Ryobi 3100 which I paid about $300 for. It has a 15A universal motor and is belt driven so it will cut 3.5 inches deep in hardwood. I have done it. With a clean Freud ripping blade the feed rate can be respectable. I've built at least 6 bedroom sets and a lot of other furniture using that saw. I've looked at the specs on the Bosch jobsite saw and it looks to be similar in capability. They now have a version of that saw with their blade stopping device. But I don't think it's cheaper than a Sawstop.

I used to use my Ryobi with extension rails for 60 inch rip capacity. But I added a track saw a few years ago and I like the combination of my little table saw and the tracksaw a lot better than my saw with the extension rails. Track saws are also inherently safer than table saws IMHO.

I now have two Ron Paulk inspired work surfaces in my shop. I have a crosscut jig for the main one, my 3 foot by 7 foot workbench. He sells plans for a total solution that incorporates a CMS (his is a Kapex) and a portable table saw and a router table. It would be a pretty solid setup for somebody without a lot of space. Ron is a professional builder/carpenter who uses these work surfaces. They are different but give you the capability of a MFT, roughly, with plusses and some minuses. Worth looking at if your son doesn't have the space or need for a full sized table saw.