Thread: Y-Adjuster troubles

Y-Adjuster troubles

I have a couple of older planes lying (pretty early Stanley #5, Millers Falls #9) around that have been giving me trouble when attempting to adjust the blade depth, and google searching hasn't yielded much in the way of useful information. Basically the problem is that the y-adjuster/yoke/watchamacallit that advances with the depth adjuster doesn't advance past a certain point unless I physically push it against the adjuster wheel. I had this problem previously that I think was being caused by a too-thick replacement blade in another plane, but in these cases I am using the stock blade, so it shouldn't be an issue. Strangely, one of the planes with which I am having this problem was working fine until recently, so I am not sure what has changed!

Has anyone encountered this, and if so, what was the fix? Alternatively, I may just have no idea what I am doing .

Sometimes, the tab that sticks up into the slot on the chipbreaker is so worn from use, it is barely there. Installing a "new" one is fairly easy.

Two: The yokes that are cast iron, and not the two piece steel, have have developed a crack over time. Then, one day the planes hits a hard knot, and a part of the tab will snap off. Then, the next time you go to adjust the depth...nothing happens.

While you await a new yoke, you can use a small hammer to increase a depth of cut. Couple TAPS on the end of the iron. Gets a bit fussy, but will do until the part shows up.

The yoke is held in place via a pin. It will only drive out one direction. You will need a punch of the same size diameter as the pin, maybe a hair smaller. Tap a few times to see IF it moves, if not, tap from the other end of the pin. One end of the pin is larger than the other. Note which way the yoke sits on the pin. The curve goes only one way. Otherwise, it will not work.

The peg which engages C/B is most efficient when vertical to frog surface.

If it is not, it is questionable whether C/B is the right length, (front edge to slot) ?

Peg may be too short for thicker blade as Steve says.

Best wishes,
    David Charlesworth