Thread: Tear out on birds eye maple

Blog Entries

Tear out on birds eye maple

I'm making large frame for a leaded glass window for a friend. The frame will be made using birds eye maple. I know misting the surface of the wood will help with tear out, but I'm not having much luck. I'm running the un-milled wood through a jointer and then a planer for thickness. Any suggestions will be appreciated. The knives on these machines is really sharp.

No way out, must be thickness sanded.

I do a lot of work with Birdseye maple. The only way to avoid tear out other than sanding is to use jointer and planer heads with Byrd Shelix heads. They are expensive but cause no tear out on figured wood. Google them.

I too do a lot with birdseye maple- about 3-5000 bf each year. Heavy cuts on planer and jointer with a straight knife head machine- 1/8" is decent. Also, if regular straight knife heads, keep knives set as deep in the head as possible while maintaining cutting circle clearance. You dont want a lot of knife face above the gib.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I tend to agree with Robert, also try very light cuts at a slow feedrate and see if that helps. You can try misting the wood with denat. alcohol which evaporates quicker than water and won't have the side effects that water has.
    Another option would be a bevel up hand plane with a high angle blade and a card scraper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lankers View Post
    Another option would be a bevel up hand plane with a high angle blade and a card scraper.
    I was thinking about that. I have a bevel up smoother and high angle blade and card scraper.
    Thanks for responding.

Shallow cut and slow feed. If possible, a backer board will help as it crosses the cutter. I have a planer with regular knives, and have had no problem. Once I am close, I only take 1/64 or so off during each pass.

I'm with Pat. As far as possible dimension off the saw and finish with the sander. Cheers.
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Blog Entries
    I have a choice of a band saw and a 10" table saw with carbide blades, both rip and combination. I'm tempted to cut it close with the bandsaw and then sand with a bench top sander.
    Should I use the belt or sleeves?